data cable installations help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting more requests at my workplace for data cable installations, the majority of this used to be done by outside contractors, but with the increasing squeeze on saving money, they are now expecting it to be done in house by me.

I am conversant with the wiring regs, and regarding the separation of data and power cables, but I have no idea if there is a set of regs which govern data installations, and I dont feel comfortable doing installs whilst ignorant to even 'good practices'

I was hoping to get on a course to give me the basics, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction, or point me to a few useful websites I would be very grateful

Thanks

(Forgot to say, I work in a very large warehouse, as the site spark)

Sponsored Links
The only benefit i could see is if you did a cat6 course, as cat6 can be fussy with its tighter radius criteria when bending the cable.

I've put networks in; via trunking, ducting, chased in, cavities etc.
You already know to keep it away from power (and strip lighting).

Make sure you terminate into sockets with minimum untwists.
If you are presenting into a panel then keep it all neat and tidy.

I've had no proper training, but apart from the occasional patch cable not working when my crappy crimping tool hasn't bitten correctly, i've not had any issues. I get the expected rated speeds for whatever network i install.

You know the main part of it, don't overthink it.

I am getting more requests at my workplace for data cable installations, the majority of this used to be done by outside contractors, but with the increasing squeeze on saving money, they are now expecting it to be done in house by me.
With a name like yours I shudder to think what else they expect to be done in house by you.

marathon-man-laurence-olivier.jpg

from the general quality of (professional/qualified persons) data installs I've seen, it's just a case of throw it up there and be done with it, and be damned if there's 100m left on my 305m drum, thats going up there too. Also no reverence paid to other services (electrical / heating pipes / hvac etc)

So as long you do a tidy job and keep the segregation distances you're golden

Sponsored Links
Be aware that ethernet autonegotiation only takes account of the end devices capabilities, not the state of the cable in between them. I've seen ethernet gear happilly establish a 100mbps link and then proceed to drop a large proportion of small pings and practically all larger packs. That was an extreme case* but it shows the use of testing beyond just confirming that a link is established at the expected speed.

This is very different from DSL where the equipment measures the characteristics of the line and then uses that information to decide what modulation settings to use (and hence determine the speed of the link).

* specifically the cable was wired with a split pair.

For what it's worth, I ran Cat5E throughout my old house with no problems and I'm no spark!

Hardest parts were deciding cable routes and implementing them through joists, channelling walls, etc. whilst taking into consideration existing services, and terminating the wall sockets in each room. As a spark you should be fine with the first bit as its second nature - as for terminating, invest in proper data cabling tools for punch down and crimping and probably a test meter of some sort, and practice a little bit.

Then it's just a case of getting on.

I'd guess in a warehouse you could use easier routing, in conduit or on service trays high up, and could use surface mount outlets so a lot of the awkward graft is made easier.

Top tip someone gave me and was spot on - leave a good amount of slack at each termination point to help in future.

It will also depend on your company's attitude with regard to critcial loss of business due to IT infra-structure downtime from any cabling issues if they haven't been tested properly eg attenuation and so on.
The correct equipment is quite expensive to properly commission network cabling.

If they're looking to a dentist to install then i doubt 'mission critical' data transfer is high on their lists of priorities.

Well I think you've already demonstrated yourself significantly better qualified than "a great many" data installers - you've asked !
IMO, a great many people installing data really haven't a clue - I've seen some real howlers. In one case, I've found at least a foot of sheath stripped back. And there really is a big difference between mains and data.

Personally, I don't get to do much cable installation - I work too slowly at it :rolleyes:

As to types of sockets, well most use "punchdowns". Most have Krone terminals these days, buy you may come across 110 punchdowns which use a different tool (I have both in my toolbox, not used the 110 for some years). I'm not averse to punchdowns for the sockets, but I don't like monolithic patch panels (all in one piece) - I much prefer some variation of "keystone" panel which means individual sockets can be worked on without disturbing everything.

Here's a couple of shots of a panel I had to work on a while ago - we had a bad connection.
In this case, the issue was made harder by teh lack of spare cable which meant I couldn't pull the panel out any further. I always worry that you always disturb the cabling to adjacent sockets when ever you have to work on one of these.

While this is one of mine, done with Nexans HD808 connectors (the front view is partially terminated).
On these, you crimp the connectors onto the cable, then slot them into the panel. This is their newest version where the connectors slot in from the front - I don't like them that much as you have to remove the front panel to add/remove connectors whereas on the previous version you didn't. Many manufacturers have keystone options, but they tend to cost more.
I find them a lot easier to terminate initially as well - you only have to manage one cable at a time !

And for good measure, this is the only one I have to hand of how not to do it !

As to testing, well this is where it gets difficult.
You can only be certain of the result if you test, but the proper gear makes an electricians MFT seem like pocket money prices :eek: At my last place I persuaded them to buy me an ex-rental Fluke DSP-100 set - cost something like £3.5k back in the late 90's/early 00's (they were £7k new). Just seen that there are a couple of sets on eBay at the moment and still asking £400+ ! I picked a set up myself a year or so back for around £400. These only do Cat5, not Cat5e - but they do give you a good idea of the quality of cable.
Got for Cat5e or Cat6 sets and you quickly get into the multiple £k range.

If buying something like the DSP-100 (not familiar with the others so can't comment) make sure you get either a second unit or a "Smart Remote". The DSP-100 had the option of a basic remote or a smart remote (which cost more). The difference is that the smart remote has all the testing abilities of the main unit and so can do the NEXT tests from the remote end - with a basic remote, you need to test the cable twice (once from each end).

Apart from that aspect of testing, something like this will really, really, (can't stress this enough) really earn its keep when troubleshooting.
Take a situation I was sent to a couple of weeks ago. The customer had a cable from their main office on the ground floor up to a cabinet in the attic (2nd floor) where there was a switch and cabling to the newly refurbished rooms. They had persistent problems getting a connection to work.
Plug in the tester, hit test, and it tells me that there are two broken wires (pins 6 and 7). Go and look at the test results and it says these are at 5.3m, while I'm using a 7ft (about 2.2m) patch lead - so the first break is about 3m down the cable. One of the cheap "LED box" testers will tell you nothing but "there are two wires broken somewhere". Being out of practice I didn't think to switch to TDR mode which would probably have told me the distance to each one - in wire map mode it tells you what is open, but only the distance to the first fault.
I followed the cable but couldn't see any obvious damage - I suspect at least one staple has been put through the cable. Since the customer isn't likely to go beyond 100M, I agreed with them to just rewire both ends to use the two good pairs for an ethernet link.

Before I got the proper tester I'd have never had a clue where the problem was - only that there were broken wires.

It'll also very quickly tell you if you have split pairs which the basic testers can't do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back