Data Cabinet Help

keep the cable nice and tidy in the cabinet as well
1,342m of cable terminate here
And keep the cctv cable nice and tidy too...

Attachments

• IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Does this setup need a UPS?
It's not unheard for burglars to turn off the power first.

so if the router assigns a local address to all devices and then you have the camera box assiging their own local addresses,
Only one device assigns IP addresses. If there are two devices which can do that, it's disabled on one of them.

Sponsored Links
so if the router assigns a local address to all devices and then you have the camera box assiging their own local addresses, how do you manage conflicting addresses? If as you suggest, they operate on a different subnet, how do you access the camera feed from your primary network? e.g. how do I see traffic on 102.xxx.xxx.xxx on 192.xxx.xxx.xxx ?

Some DVRs/NVRs have two ethernet ports. One is assigned an IP address by the router. The other port is used to set up a separate IP range for the cameras. The advantage of doing so is that it reduces traffic on the primary network.

You can see data in other IP ranges. Any given website will be on a completely different ip range to most home owners.

Some DVRs/NVRs have two ethernet ports. One is assigned an IP address by the router. The other port is used to set up a separate IP range for the cameras. The advantage of doing so is that it reduces traffic on the primary network.

You can see data in other IP ranges. Any given website will be on a completely different ip range to most home owners.
WOW...i hope this is just advice and you don't actually try and do any of this lol. Your knowledge is not just limited, its just simply not true

Is there a preferred manufacturer of data cabinets or are they all the same and just get the best priced. I assume i will need a 6U or 9U.

WOW...i hope this is just advice and you don't actually try and do any of this lol. Your knowledge is not just limited, its just simply not true

Care to apologise?

Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8, one of many NVRs with dual NICs

There is a discussion about it here

Q. "Hello all I just purchased a Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8 NVR upgrading from a DS-7616NI-K2-16P NVR and I am a little confused on the setting up of the two Lan ports and the advantages and/or disadvantages of each configuration. I currently have 12 IP cameras running through three separate switches that then connect to my router and three cameras that run directly out of the poe ports on the back of the NVR."
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/hikvision-dual-lan-ports.52586/
A. "It gives you some flexibility for distributing the cameras around the network in a way that suits requirements, for example so that you could have a physically separate camera network, and still have the NVR accessible via the 'normal' network." In reply to the mention of running all of the cameras trough the router- here is the reply "Hopefully not passing camera traffic through the router to the NVR or to a monitoring PC.
Some routers don't handle high volumes of camera traffic well, it can impact their primary task - routing."

Which is pretty much what I said...

Oh.. and in the past I used to have a HP business inkjet printer that had the useby date hard coded in to the inkjet cartridges. I set up an old PC to run as a Linux print server. It was on a different IP range to the rest of my network. All I had to do was tell each PC in the other network what the IP address of the printer is.

I may well have forgotten much of that I learnt, but I learnt enough to know that the OSI model has 7 layers and the the TCP?IP stack has 4. I used to maintain my own webserver. I have more than a passing knowledge of DNS, RDNS, MX records, SSL certs and so on.

Last edited:
Is there a preferred manufacturer of data cabinets or are they all the same and just get the best priced. I assume i will need a 6U or 9U.

Got al the cables pulled through now so need to get a cabinet ordered to terminate them in.

Care to apologise?

Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8, one of many NVRs with dual NICs

There is a discussion about it here

Q. "Hello all I just purchased a Hikvision DS-9632NI-I8 NVR upgrading from a DS-7616NI-K2-16P NVR and I am a little confused on the setting up of the two Lan ports and the advantages and/or disadvantages of each configuration. I currently have 12 IP cameras running through three separate switches that then connect to my router and three cameras that run directly out of the poe ports on the back of the NVR."
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/hikvision-dual-lan-ports.52586/
A. "It gives you some flexibility for distributing the cameras around the network in a way that suits requirements, for example so that you could have a physically separate camera network, and still have the NVR accessible via the 'normal' network." In reply to the mention of running all of the cameras trough the router- here is the reply "Hopefully not passing camera traffic through the router to the NVR or to a monitoring PC.
Some routers don't handle high volumes of camera traffic well, it can impact their primary task - routing."

Which is pretty much what I said...

Oh.. and in the past I used to have a HP business inkjet printer that had the useby date hard coded in to the inkjet cartridges. I set up an old PC to run as a Linux print server. It was on a different IP range to the rest of my network. All I had to do was tell each PC in the other network what the IP address of the printer is.

I may well have forgotten much of that I learnt, but I learnt enough to know that the OSI model has 7 layers and the the TCP?IP stack has 4. I used to maintain my own webserver. I have more than a passing knowledge of DNS, RDNS, MX records, SSL certs and so on.
no its not what you said actually.
there is a method of being able to access data from different sub nets using a router as a gateway between them. This requires a setup beyond the average understanding and its certainly never a plug and play option.

no its not what you said actually.
there is a method of being able to access data from different sub nets using a router as a gateway between them. This requires a setup beyond the average understanding and its certainly never a plug and play option.

Which bit are you disagreeing with? The thrust of my point was that some DVRs have two ethernet ports to take the load of the rest of the network. I have provided you with links to back up that claim.

You said

So again, which bit is "simply not true"?

Seriously mate, when you make a mistake, just put your hands up and say "oh, I didn't know that". In the case of the NVRs/DVRs with dual ports, they don't rely upon witchcraft to set them up.

For the record, I have seen numerous posts from you over the years (many of which I agree with)... I think you are wrong on this one and frankly I don't like being maligned, unless I am posting in error. In this case I was correct but you still seem to be unwilling to concede that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back