Help - Routing Cat6 Cable - Can it be near to TV/Sat Coax?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install some Cat 6 Cable in a new house, in the past when I have done this I just used any void that was available as both times it was an old house and I didn't have much choice.

This time the house is new and still being built, the electrician has already installed most of the mains wiring for power and light and also installed Coax for TV/Sat. The Cat 6 will all end up at a hub in the same place as the coax and the wall points will also be next to the TV/Sat points. I know that I should not run Cat 6 near to power circuits but I am not sure if its OK to run then next to coax? If I can route them near to the coax it will save me a lot of work as all the routes are already in place and all I need to do is pull the cables.

Can anyone advice if its permissible to run Coax and Data next to each other, if not what separation is required?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes - rememeber that cat5 and RJ45's are hugely flexible, you can use them for data, phones, audio - whatever. I put four double sockets in each 12'x12' office of a building I did last year and already I've had to extend using local hubs.

Just make sure you number them legibly at both ends!

Thanks for confirmation that running cables with Coax is fine, and also for all the other useful advice.

I am putting double runs in most room and 6 in the the study and 3 in the lounge.

This time the house is new and still being built, the electrician has already installed most of the mains wiring for power and light and also installed Coax for TV/Sat.
Just check that he used a good quality coax - it MUST have a foil screen, and ideally the foil should be copper. I did the networking for a customer a while ago and specified this - but the lecky put in the cheapest sh*tiest coax he could find, I didn't know they still sold such rubbish :rolleyes: He got told to replace it.

Pity that wasn't the limit of his incompetence.

With ref to what your sparky has run for tv/sat, how many cables go to the places you might want tvs and how many go to where you intend your main tv to be. Easy to run cables in advance but could be akward/messy later.
Minimum of four coax to the main tv position and if you want sky+/HD in any other room you will need two coax cables to each point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back