Routing Cat6 network cable in stud wall...

Metal stud walls arn't too bad, ban... as the OP alludes to, they are very often free of noggins so retro fitting is quite easy.

Yes, modern houses are thrown up quickly, but is what is produced any worse than owning on older property.

I've got a bungalow built in the late C19th, yes I've got solid stone walls, but I've also got a 1970s flat roofed extension that leaks, woodworm damage, inefficent 70's boiler, re-wireable fuses, sections of lead cabling, etc. I suppose there are advantages to having a new place that is energy efficient already doesn't need major attention to anything, just has some walls that sound a little flimsy - It probably wont last 100 years, but then again that will be someone elses problem by then!

Sponsored Links
And during the time it does last, will nobody ever want to fix something heavy to the walls?

Builders do not put up walls like that because they are better than brick or block.

...I've also got a 1970s flat roofed extension that leaks, woodworm damage, inefficent 70's boiler, re-wireable fuses, sections of lead cabling, etc.
You're surely not saying that someone installed 'lead cabling' in the 1970s - or are you?

Kind Regards, John

[quote="Adam_151";p="3170563"
You're surely not saying that someone installed 'lead cabling' in the 1970s - or are you?

[/quote]

No, John I didn't specify when I thought the lead cabling dates from, assume 30s or 40s whenever the village was first electrified.

However those working on it in the 70s did re-use some of the existing lead switch drops

Sponsored Links
I work with a top end builder who does very impressive houses, and it is usual in bathrooms, kitchens and utilities, cupboards etc to ply a stud wall prior to plasterboarding to provide fixings anywhere.

It costs quite a bit in time and materials, especially in a large house, but makes such a difference. The walls are stronger too, and not so prone to damage.

No, John I didn't specify when I thought the lead cabling dates from ...
No, you didn't, but you did describe it as a "1970s flat roofed extension', which I took to mean that the extension was built in the 1970s - in which case any cabling in it must surely date from the 1970's, or later?

I presume you must mean that the old parts of the house had some lead cabling, which would not be surprising in a 19th century property, but that does not seem to be relevant to the point you seemed to be making about the difference between old and 'new' buildings.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back