Aligning Threaded elbows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 female threaded fittings on my shower thermostat which due to the layout, I want to exit at right angles using a 22mm compression to threaded elbow. Unfortunately the elbows don't quite tighten at the correct angle (ie perpendicular to the wall).

Is it OK practice to adjust this angle using PTFE tape. I can do this without too many turns of the stuff but as access is not going to be great when the job is completed I want to check whether this is the best method.

Sponsored Links
You could try using a push fitting instead, these can cope with 2 degrees deflection and I think would be more reliable than a cocked over compression fitting.

oilman - not sure if I quite exlained the issue. The compression would be as usual. It is just to 'pack' the threads so they tighten at a slightly different point.

Picture shows the angle I'm trying to acheive (with a bit of PTFE showing. The 22mm pipe will then go straight through the wall.

elbow.jpg

Sponsored Links
I see what you mean now, sorry for the confusion. I do things differently to most people, and I use materials other than PTFE more often than I use it. I would use a fibre or perhaps a copper washer here if it was not too thick to get the angle, or if that didn't work I'd use hemp and a jointing compound as you can screw it up tighter without it crushing so much as PTFE. But many would probably use PTFE.

I'm not a plumber, but have come across this problem often. (fitting outside taps usually) I have always used hemp and boss white or similar, and never had a problem. Providing there's enough hemp on there to give a reasonable resistance when tightening it, I'm sure it will be totally sound.
Flashbang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back