All downstairs sockets spurred from upstairs ring main?

yes, but if you want to take a spur from a spur as you describe, you need an FCU BEFORE the first socket.

Effectively you'd need two FCU's, one between the ring and the first socket, with a 13A fuse and preferably no switch, and then a second one in the spur going to the fire with a fuse suitable for the fire, and a switch if desired.

So you'd end up with:
[code:1]

RING ------- FCU -- Socket -- Switched FCU -- Fire

or

RING ------- FCU -- Socket
`-------------- Switched FCU -- Fire

[/code:1]

depending what was most convenient to wire it up.

Sponsored Links
If the FCU has a switch does this not then act as an isolator?

Yes, but it isolates everything down from it, so if you had just 1 FCU which was before the socket, you would isolate the socket as well as the fire.

Thanks I understand your comments. Would it be a big problem just to have a switched FCU before the switch?
I'm thinking I'd only want to isolate the fire for maintenance or decorating or worst case a real fire and in allm these scenarios I wouldnt need the double socket anyway (it will be used for TV and DVD).

So, Spur from ring main ---> Switched FCU ---> Double socket ---> Fire would be acceptable I think (and one less box too)
Alternatively would the following be acceptable?:
Spur from ring main ---> Switched FCU ---> with 2 "out" cables one to the double socket and one to the fire 9although I think the first option would be the better one)

The issue is the fire needs to be fused correctly. Given you said ti was a gas fire, the circuit is surely low current and only used for ignition or similar? It'll probably require a 3A fuse, and the only way to provide that is a second FCU...

Sponsored Links
Point taken! :oops:
I was working on the FCU needing a 13A fuse (originally the feed was going to be to an electric fire before my son changed his mind).
Understand totally now. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back