All in a day's work

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are days when one wishes one had stayed in bed.

Yesterday first call was to repair a Britony multipoint. Turns out a room sealed multipoint was removed and a fan flue Britony fitted. The original RS terminal still there, inner tube from the fan flue terminal in place but outer tube no where in sight. Took pictures, wrote out a warning notice, stuck a label, collected money and walked.

Second call. Extention to house about four years old. Boiler is a Linea Plus for better hot water delivery. Boiler keeps locking out during ignition. Eventually the boiler fires. Inlet pressure at the gas valve is 7mb.

Final call was to ‘remove disc from the gas meter- will only take you three minutes’ Gave t him the callout charge plus travelling. Soon got rid of him.

Is it just me or are work standards slipping.

Sponsored Links
Yes I think so, but unfortunately the majority of the public would rather save money than have a proper job done :rolleyes:

Yesterday, got first job out of the way, got paid, sweet. Next job, dodgy tap. Must have been 40 years old tried to strip it down but gave up. Suggested renewing taps. Gave price. "How much for just the one?" he says. Told him it would be the same and he said he'd have to think about it. Left. Next phone an old lady who apparently has a leak. She answers the phone and I explain who I am. "Just a minute" she says, and off she goes. I was on the phone for five minutes listening to her clattering and banging in the background and having a conversation with someone else. Hung up. Next a prearranged call to look at a faulty combi. Not in. Next return a call from a lady requiring a quote. "Yes I'm still wanting a quote but not today." Went home and made the wife ignore the phone when it rang and I've took the day off today. Used to be I just got the numpties in the run up to Xmas but now it seems that they come out in all weathers.

DP said:
Final call was to ‘remove disc from the gas meter- will only take you three minutes’ Gave t him the callout charge plus travelling. Soon got rid of him.

Obviously a blocking disc in a gas meter will have been put in place for a reason. Usually a suspected leak or just possibly non payments issues?

To remove it means doing a leakage test but its far better to ask questions first to see what they tell you about why its there.

A long while ago I had an embarassing situation where I was not paid for removing a disc and I am now doubly sensitive to those situations.

Sponsored Links
I tend to find that shoving a hose pipe in the boilers flue gets me a call the next day to fix a leaking boiler (oh, and collect payment).

Few pairs of ripped jeans but in 10 years of trading ive never had a non paying customer...eventually

Only 2 hours ago Ive had to visit someone on the estate who owed me.

Money in the pocket now and only a 'slight lean' for payment.

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back