all purpose plaster/filler any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The last time I rewired one of my rooms I filled the cable channelling with one-coat plaster. I remember being dissatisified with it, but can't remember why.....

I'm now doing another room and this is a bigger job. Besides the cable channelling there are considerable gaps back to the cinderblocks where I've take away a cut-in extended stone fireplace surround. There's an area of mortar render which will have to be skimmed over, too.

My question is: is there any one plaster or filler which would do a good job on all the gaps, big and smalll? And on the skimming? If not, what two should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
bludger
use one coat , if the chanels are deep then build up in layers , as when you do it all in one its packed but cracks when drying ...
hope this helps :)

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I remember now I filled all the channels in one go last time. I'll use one-coat again and take it steadier. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Best wishes,

Sponsored Links
Just one tip bludger, do not get the mixture to wet or it is inclined to slump

bludger
btw ....
thoroughly soak the area being filled up in layers ...an dont keep playing with the top coat ...lol :)

I find, when filling chases, I'm happy with the result if I fill in near to the level, but a bit below, let it go stiff, then add a thinnish layer as smooth and flush as I can, and when that's gone stiff, scrape up with a filling knife to remove any overfill (I've seen people trying to level it with sandpaper after its gone fully hard :LOL: )

Must admit I usually use Sirapite or whatever's to hand.

Hello All,

It's surprising how much info comes out of a simple question, isn't it? I like the tips that have come forth here.

I must remember to make sure the electricity is off if I thoroughly soak the cable chases!

Is it worth using a 5 to 1 mix of pva adhesive on the metal protective sheathing first? This ought to ensure good adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back