All radiators stone cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I bought a house early January and as soon as I moved in, a double radiator was removed from the wall for plastering and I put it back on and bled it Friday night. I got heat as normal on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday morning but when I came back Sunday night the rads were all off.

I turned up thermostat to as high as it goes but radiators still stone cold and same this morning. All the pipes in the airing cupboard are boiling hot but no heat is going to rads.

I am getting hot water and I did bleed the pump but there was no air.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I'm a complete newbie to all this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do the pipes feel hot both sides of the pump?

Boiler is old and I know it's not a combi boiler but I couldn't give you anymore details off the top of my head. I could take a photo when I'm home from work tonight.

As I'm at work, I can't check right now but I'm 90% sure the pipes are hot both sides of pump as I remember I couldn't touch anywhere when I was trying to hold onto something when bleeding pump.

Sponsored Links
Check there's water in the header tank (small one in loft) and that it sounds like it's refilling if you bleed or drain a pint or so out of a rad.
If the pump can't get enough water the boiler overheats and cuts off.
Likely to be a blockage.

Check there's water in the header tank (small one in loft) and that it sounds like it's refilling if you bleed or drain a pint or so out of a rad.
If the pump can't get enough water the boiler overheats and cuts off.
Likely to be a blockage.

I will check tonight. I did randomly attempt to bleed the radiator that I had put back on the wall again just to check there was water in there and there was so I'm pretty sure there's water in the system, the hot water just isn't getting to any of the rads.

Another suggestion I've had is to override the thermostat by crossing the wires in it to make sure it's not that. It is a very old one so could be...

OK here's an update.

Pump is working fine, however the three way valve is not opening for the CH when in auto mode. When I set it to manual, rads get heat.

So I'm looking at the thermostat here... I took the front off and joined the red and yellow wires to override it and now the three way valve is allowing heat into the rads so I can stop dying of hypothermia.

I have a new thermostat but I'm unsure on which wire goes where so I'm just uploading pictures then I will add them and hopefully you guys can hold my hand through doing this.

Here is old thermostat (before I crossed the yellow and red wires):

20130128185054.jpg

So it goes from left to right: Earth, Empty, Yellow, Blue, Red
Slots are labelled: Earth Symbol, 2, 1, N, L.

Here is the new one. It's a Horstmann HRFS1 wireless programmable stat:

20130128185125.jpg

So... anyone up for doing me a straight forward guide? :)

Thanks a million in advance.

You need to keep the link in place as it is.

Blue wire to the terminal labelled 'N' at the bottom of the picture.

Red wire to the terminal labelled 'L' at the bottom of the picture. This will be in the same terminal as the factory fitted link.

Yellow wire to the terminal 'SL (on)'

You need to put some earth sleeving over the bare copper earth wire and fold it out of the way.

It looks like your receiver requires some sort of mounting box. Was it supplied with one?

You're my hero. The factory fitted link was the bit that was really confusing me and I wasn't sure where the put the yellow wire.

Would it be ok to just clip the earth off short or do I definitely need to go and get some earth sleeving? Want to try get it in tonight but I guess I'd rather do it properly if need be.

There is a mounting box yeah, this is just the bit inside it.

Better to keep the earth as it is in case it is needed in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back