All test pots turning purple!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help, we moved into our house a month ago and redecorating the whole house as smokers previously lived there and all needs freshening up. Everything has been done except the living room which had to await some electrics to be done.

Now that this has been done, we went to get tester pots to see what colour. We got 8 in total (one duck egg blue, the rest neutral) these came from 2 different shops and there are 5 different brands. Our problem is they all seem to have turned purple or gained lilac tinge...

What is causing this, is it the tar on walls from previous occupants because not sure what could do that? More importantly how best to tackle this?

Any help appreciated.

P.s. I have a feeling my husband's dad did a wash on the walls to try and rid the smoke smell when first moved in - it may have been ammonia based if helps.

Sponsored Links
I have had the same problem in our house, I have had this happen alot with the neutral colours.

Egyption cotton by dulux went on lilac on coat 1, after coat 2 it looked a little better then coat 3 its that grey stone colour I wanted.

I have found its best to paint the samples onto white card and see what they are like. Also my house faces east to west & it does make the colours look different morning & evening.

What I will say though is the better paint, F&B Dulux Trade & Craig & Rose have all been superb compared to the dulux & crown basic range I have tested.

Now I have used cover stain, 123 & Bin painting wardrobes & doors. If cover stain is the best product then clear then room, cover the floors and OPEN THE WINDOWS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back