alleged elec in wednesdays "sun" 19th march

how can you check that someone hasn't borrowed a neutral from your circuit to use for a light on a totally unrelated circuit that is currently turned off such that as soon as the relavent light switch is turned on your neutral becomes live?
I can see how a borrowed neutral can be an unexpectedly energised neutral, but "become live"?
Without some other fault? I don't see how.

Whether or not borrowed, or unexpectedly energised, Neutral is always a live conductor.

Sponsored Links
how can you check that someone hasn't borrowed a neutral from your circuit to use for a light on a totally unrelated circuit that is currently turned off such that as soon as the relavent light switch is turned on your neutral becomes live?
I can see how a borrowed neutral can be an unexpectedly energised neutral, but "become live"?
Without some other fault? I don't see how.

If the circuit is being worked on, then there is a good change that the neutral might be open circuit (eg, I disconnect phase and neutral of the circuit in a board to replace an MCB with an RCBO), if the lighting circuit borrowed a neutral from the circuit I was working on, then if someone switched the lights in question on then with the neutral open, the loose neutral will rise to 230v above ground and is to all intents and purposes 'live'

(we'll not go into the fact that all neutrals are classed as live conductors)

"Don't worry, this circuit is dead, no need to use an insulated screwdriver"

Yeah, right :rolleyes:

Whenever anyone says "Don't worry"

Start worrying.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back