outside light impossible

hi thanks for all the input . sorry about the grammar. New info : live feed comes from ring main socket .(1)checked with a proper circuit tester ring main live to earth =live (2) switch live to earth =live (3) switch hot live to earth =live (4)outside terminal two reds to earth =live(5)switch hot live to earth =live(6) lamp light live to switch hot live(7)lamp light negative to earth terminal =B I N G O , IS THIS SAFE gus 1000 thanks

Where to start???

Ok let me just check, you know the difference between a neutral and an earth?

Sponsored Links
hi light is working . The RCD DID NOT TRIP , have disconnected lamp till next week waiting till the electrician checks . the ring main socket has been ok for over 6 yrs no problems and the RCd has not tripped with all my combinations should it have . thanks in advanced gus

hi light is working . The RCD DID NOT TRIP , have disconnected lamp till next week waiting till the electrician checks . the ring main socket has been ok for over 6 yrs no problems and the RCd has not tripped with all my combinations should it have . thanks in advanced gus

Ok no worries I'll leave it at that, I'm happy that you've done all you can and I've helped as much as poss. given the limited amount one can do remotely over the internet. I'm happy to leave it to an electrician who can visit, and has proper test gear to diagnose this one.

Sponsored Links
Really need some voltage values.
What does BINGO mean?
You should not be getting a live reading between neutral and earth.
I Noticed there were no tests between live and neutral, this are important also.

What is a proper tester?

hi, (1) voltage value at ring main socket live to earth 244. (2) voltage value at wall switch hot live to earth 244. sorry bingo = light working. gus

And why, now that it's working, are you getting an electrician in?

And what's the difference between 'live' and 'hot live' (or was it 'live hot?) ?

:confused:

Hi the reason it is working is I attached the lamp light neutral to the earths and the lamp light positive to the hot switch , so I am getting a electrician on the free to check this out . For peace of mind detached lamp light .thanks for supporting me gus

If the reason it works is that you have connected the neutral to earth, then that would suggest you have no neutral at the lamp. This is not a wise thing to do!

Unusually, I have now become worried that the OP has fixed it! I'd like to ask of him a basic question: what's the difference between a neutral and an earth? I am not confident that he's even aware they are different, possibly he's referring to one when means the other, or all the neutral wires are connected to earth and vice versa, or some are some aren't, etc etc

Another point, in the 4 pics you've uploaded 2 of them are diagrams of how to connect a junction box, not your own actual connections within a junction box. Can you upload an actual pic of your own junction box connections?

This too - how on earth (sorry for the pun) are these junction boxes actually connected, can you supply a pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back