Professional Electrician Magazine

All that "caught on camera" really shows is just how many clueless and undertrained people we have working in this industry now, and it's only going to get worse I fear.

Unfortunately it's often not the person that's done the work in the photo, but the person who's sent it in that doesn't have a clue, and more so the magazine for publishing this rubbish, seemingly without vetting it at all.

Sponsored Links
I like the Caught on Camera stuff, but as you indicate some of it isn't that shocking at all to the seasoned electrician.

Taped up joints, nails as fuses, two flexes in one plug and mice in consumer units aren't all that surprising anymore.

Then you get someone inexperienced commenting on an otherwise neat 20 amp junction boxes with bare earths emerging out the fixing holes and twisted together outside the jb - that's how many a good electrician would do it in the 50s and 60s and perhaps 70s. See it a lot in otherwise good installations.

Or someone takes a picture of a socket the wrong way up by 90 degrees or something. Just not surprising.

I liked the picture of a fox eating through a cable a few months ago - though not sure if it really was geniune!

It suits the trade counter at my local CEF very well. The electrical wholesaler of the not very clued up / 5 day wonder housebasher.

Sponsored Links
To be fair I brought a proteus batten fitting recently from cef and was surprised the quality was far supperier to most.

Agree with securespark, some of the articles are about things that any decent electrician should already know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back