How to test a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of laying out a number of ring mains in my house (renovation...) and once the circuits have been connected to the consumer unit and certified (by electrician), I would like to conduct a further round of testing to make sure I haven't done something wrong and specifically, that a cable hasn't popped out of the screws of the socket connection. I know this will be picked up by the electrician but I am a bit like that....

I have seen that you can buy the "testers" that you shove into the socket and wait to light-up and make a certain buzz. Is this what I should be using or a multi-meter of some description?

This knowledge will also be helpful to test existing ring mains too.

Sponsored Links
Testing of any circuit is done to check all of the wiring BEFORE the circuit is connected up and energised!!!!!!

There is a particular way of testing ring final circuits. Check it out before proceeding. And you will need a low ohm test meter (i.e. it will be calibrated and accurate and designed to display resistance measurements of less than 2 ohms.)

Those "plug in" testers will NOT tell you of many problems on a ring final circuit, as I say, testing is done first before switching on. Those testers need power to be present for them to work.

Hi,

I am in the process of laying out a number of ring mains in my house (renovation...) and once the circuits have been connected to the consumer unit and certified (by electrician)
Have you found an electrician who agrees that it works like that?

Because it doesn't.....

I would like to conduct a further round of testing to make sure I haven't done something wrong and specifically, that a cable hasn't popped out of the screws of the socket connection. I know this will be picked up by the electrician but I am a bit like that....
I'm sure a number of us have an idea of what you are like.

This knowledge will also be helpful to test existing ring mains too.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.1.1.htm

I have seen that you can buy the "testers" that you shove into the socket and wait to light-up and make a certain buzz. Is this what I should be using or a multi-meter of some description?
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=(metrel%2Crobin%2Cfluke%2Cmegger)+(installation%2Cmultifunction)+tester

Other makes are available - I just picked the most common ones.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the responses. @TTC, the link was very helpful.

@banallsheds, That ebay link draws a blank. Can you re-send please.
I have an electrician lined up to support me during the installation of the rings and then to connect them in as well as certify.

Sponsored Links
Could be the site mangling URLs

Paste this into the search box on ebay: (metrel,robin,fluke,megger) (installation,multifunction) tester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back