Alleyway ceiling/soffit - What to cover with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our house's ground floor includes an alleyway for the Right of Access for the rest of the terrace. The survey said that the ceiling/soffit would previously have been lath and plaster but the previous owner has replaced this with standard plasterboard. The survey suggested the moisture resistant plasterboard instead.

It doesn't seem very damp proof to me. What else should I use? Shower splash panels? Will moisture resistant plasterboard suffice?

soffit1.JPG soffit2.JPG
Yes, that is indeed the chimney supported by a wooden beam and a metal sign... It's on the todo list...

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
That ceiling shouldn't get much rainwater on it but standard plasterboard will probably get a bit soft and rubbish after a few years outside. Price/performance thing really, the moisture resistant plasterboard will probably be fine for 10 years or so, the shower stuff will last for ever but is a bit dearer than plasterboard. Either will work, from the look of that ceiling in the pic I'd move it further down the list and concentrate on more immediate things

PS Surveys are always conservative- when I moved in here 26 years ago the survey mentioned possible issues with the valley gutter, replace, reroof etc. Done nowt to the roof, still here, still keeps the rain out :)

Sponsored Links
OP,
Two weeks ago you were given advice about your question, and suggestions that revealed structural damage - you then disappeared from your own thread?

OP,
Two weeks ago you were given advice about your question, and suggestions that revealed structural damage - you then disappeared from your own thread?
Hello Vinn,

You are awaiting a full elevation picture but I have not had the rendering removed yet. I know you are eager to help and I will post the photos as soon as I have them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back