Almost down to bare wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have almost got my landing window cill down to the bare wood after using paint stripper and scrapers.
I can see what appears to be a translucent almost pinky looking stuff.
Does it sound familiar to anyone?
I was thinking primer.
If so how could I remove it as I want to stain/varnish the wood.

Sharon xx

Sponsored Links
SOunds like primer..it has probablt soaked into the wood a fair bit..oh and theres a good chance it might be lead based...so no wet sanding.

It might not be possible to stain it over the pink tinge unless you use a dark ish one

Cheers for reply!
I would have liked it to be the natural wood colour it once was but I would happily choose a dark option as my 2nd choice.
Failing that it will have to be white gloss!
Anything is better than the 10 layers of paint with numerous painted over chips!!

I have just been up and gave something a try.
I got a nail polish remover pad and rubbed it on the cill!
It started to come off and it looks nice under there!
Would something like white spirit work?!

Sharon xx

Ps..I tried the nail polish pad as for some reason unknown to me I tried it on my Gym top which I'd got white emulsion on once upon a time as it was underneath my decorating top.
It worked!!!

Its Acetone and will soften a lot of paint films..but I wouldnt soak the cill in it, you may have problems when you put the stain over it...maybe more so if it has the lanolin stuff in it to protect your skin

Try white spirit and wire wool, rub with the grain not against it otherwise it will scratch..dont, whatever you do pull the wirewol apart with your bare hands, its lethal, ive had a really bad cut from it....use scissors.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again!
I've almost got all the 10 layers of paint off now!
Just waiting for the last section to bubble!
So time for a tea break and a nosey on the forum!
I will get some white spirit tomorrow,and wire wool and let you know how it looks.
I am confident that it will look great now!

Sharon xx

Ps..I do not wear nail polish! :LOL:
No time for that rubbish!!!

madonnafan said:
Thanks again!
I've almost got all the 10 layers of paint off now!
Just waiting for the last section to bubble!
So time for a tea break and a nosey on the forum!
I will get some white spirit tomorrow,and wire wool and let you know how it looks.
I am confident that it will look great now!

Sharon xx

Ps..I do not wear nail polish! :LOL:
No time for that rubbish!!!

Nor me.. :rolleyes:

I have ended up glossing the window cill in white!
When I'd finally got all the layers of paint off I tried the white spirit and wire wool (which got the primer off!)but to be honest the cill was heavily scratched,filled in in places and also had many nail holes.
What a waste of lovely wood!

Glad you gave me the tip about the wire wool.
Unfortunately for me,even though I had repeated myself many times to all 4 kids to not touch the stuff, my 10 year old son decided it would be a good idea to wrap a bit of wool round his finger in order to snap it off!!

Blood,blood and more blood!

Not a hospital job though!

Sharon xx

Oh no!..I did the same years back..I sliced the top of my thumb off :mad:

I know,I cant believe he did it!
I could easily blame myself for this incident as kids are curious and I should have hid it...but I had mentioned the 'razor sharp wool' to them many times!!
I remember my estranged father in the 70's to have done the same thing.
He was a lorry driver and I was on a trip with him to Sheffield.
He came back to the cab with blood all over...said he had done it on wire wool.
I never questioned him at the time but remember thinking he must have been joking as wool is soft!!

Sharon xx

Wow, I really am surprised that Wilkinsons are allowed to sell such things on the bottom shelf!
I will keep children,batteries and the likes away from it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back