How to get external windows back to bare wood....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to get my wooden windows sorted before winter reaches us.... I'm not sure what's on them at the moment, whether it's paint, varnish or woodstain. But it is peeling/flaking off in places.

Is there a best method for removing and getting them back to bare wood? Would heat guns/paint stripper goo potentially damage the seals or damage the windows in any other way? And if so, what other options are there?

We want them back to bare wood because we then hope to treat them with something that will maintain their woody appearance...

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

A bit of an update and addition....

If we cannot get it to bare wood sufficiently, or if the bare wood looks crap, then we are going to look to paint them. But if painting, do we still want to get rid of as much existing paint/stain as possible?

I've been told in the past that it is best to use paints that allow the wood/windows to breathe. Would you guys agree? And if so, how much does the removing process effect the wood's ability to breathe?

Cheers

Max

Paint and varnish can peel, stain can not.

Don't go to close with the burner, you'll scorch the wood, you may be safer with a nitromoors remover. you should leave good paint in situ, only removing when the paint starts to peel as it takes years to build up a good paint base. Don't worry about the wood breathing

If you do get it really clean then a stain then varnish may be ok for you. if not, all couple coats of undercoat the two top coats should suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back