Almost flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps, can anyone help with this one.....
I have a large garage with a sloping roof which currently has a traditional felt covering which needs replacing. The pitch of the roof is only about 3 or 4 degrees. What would be the best solution for replacement? I have considered fibreglass, but what about steel corrugated sheeting? this would be considerably cheaper and quicker to do, but is the fall enough? Has anyone had experience of this kind of set up? I am no stranger to big DIY projects, and probably would have fibreglassed it last year, but there wasn't a clear period of weather long enough to even contemplate the job....
Any words of wisdom would be most welcome....
Randyrat

Sponsored Links
What is wrong with built up felt, or the modern alternative of rubber?

Well, I am a little disappointed with the longevity of felt/bitumen. Rubber may be an option, but isnt it very expensive? The surface area of the roof is about 24-26 square metres, and a strange 5 sided shape.
So, Rubber; how good is it? and how easy to fit? And are there any good suppliers/fitters that anyone can recommend?
Thanks
Randyrat

Rubber is not much more or even any more than felt, which in turn tends to have one of the best cost/life ratios of any roof covering in refurb work.

Quite a few posts on here about rubber roofs. I think Firestone may be a market leader with the material

Sponsored Links
Hi Rat - have a look at my post - 'Garage Roof Replacement - Advice?'. Its also a very shallow slope, about 5 degrees at most, I think. I'm going to use corrugated bitumen, or Coroline, but i'm still pondering over the supports to it; it should be boarded, I think, but i'm thinking about having joists some 2 feet apart, which should help.

Take a look at Wickes website and there is a 'how-to' on Coroline Bitumen Sheeting which is very helpful!

HTH.

MrP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back