Alpha 240E keep cutting out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Alpha 240E fires up ok for DHW for a random amount of time, then cuts out (basically, just goes back to pilot light).

The CH can only be started (randomly) by flicking the two way DHW ONLY/DHW&CH switch whilst running a tap and then the heating cuts in. However, this will only run for a random amount of time, then cut out again.

When it does work, the water is hot and the radiators get hot as they should. So all seems to be working apart from the cutting out.

A total of three engineers have been round and have no idea what it can be. The final one tested everything he could and said everything was running ok and it looked as though it may be the PCB causing an issue.

Also, do Alpha have a support line?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
240e doesn't have a pilot light, thats what the e is for, electronic.

You need the fan taken off and the venturis thoroughly cleaned then blown through.

They can look clean on these boilers but still cause intermittent problems.

Pcb is quite reliable on these I have found.

Hi Dave thanks for this. I could not help notice that you are based in Norwich? My neighbour is near Dereham. Is this a service that you offer? If so, please email me your number - diynot at logicreddotcodotuk

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry Dave, it is in fact my neighbour (and good friend) who has the problem, but for the purposes of the newsgroup I left it out!

I have read elsewhere that it may be the primary thermister that is causing the problem. Apparently it can work ok when cold, but then stop working when it heats up.

Last one of these I had was a sticking pump....look to see if primary flow switch is still made when the boiler drops out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back