Alpha 240E - parts available but can't be fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Alpha 240E boiler that has stopped working. The engineer says it needs a new expansion vessel but he is not legally allowed to fit one because any parts have to be traceable back to the original manufacturer and Alpha don't make the parts anymore. Is this true? I can see the parts available to buy online, but is there any point buying them if installers won't fit them?

Sponsored Links
He does not want to fit parts you have sourced. An issue in that is if the parts you have sourced, he fits them, things do not work out, you will be looking for him to address the problem. That is my understanding, I could be wrong

Find a different engineerr, thus one is talking twaddle.

If the internal expansion vessel is not available, an external one is almost certainly an option.

Sponsored Links
absolute rubbish, worst case scenario fit an external vessel as already advised

Thanks for your replies, he did offer to fit an external one, but I can see an expansion vessel suitable for the Alpha240E available to buy online for £109. I will try another engineer and ask if they can fit it.

why fit an internal one when an external one is about £25

I expect that he wants to fit a nice new boiler at an inflated price.

But an original style EXV can be quite a job to fit into the boiler.

An external EXV is a cheaper and easier option!

Tony

You say that your boiler is not working , a faulty expansion vessel would not stop your boiler from working

It stopped working because the pressure built up too high and triggered the release valve.

If your flue exits straight out the back and not to either side or vertically then flue will have to removed to fit original part also you need about 18 inches clearance above boiler to get it out no matter what way the flue exits or the boiler has to come off the wall .
Far better and cheaper to have an external one if its in an out of the way cupboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back