Alpha Boilers weather compensation and controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, hoping someone could help clarify a few questions regarding the weather compensation features , specifically on the alpha e-tec combis please.

I understand that the aim of such devices are to keep the return flow temperature as low as possible to maximise condensation (following the heat curve). And that these heat curves essentially 'tune-in' the flow temperature depending on building make-up (heat loss). They should therefore keep the temperature more stable. Is this understanding, correct?

I also thought the benefit of the weather compensation probe was to reduce 'cycling', but given the user presumably needs a stat of sorts in the house still (to control desired temperature) , am unsure as to quite how it does this? is it because rather than blast out 80 and switch of then on / off /on etc about set-point (as per normal system) , the temperature oscillations are less pronounced (peaky) and so whilst it will still turn off and on it won't be so rapid?

Finally, a specific question regarding the alphas. Will the weather probes work with the 'easy stat'? - In my mind / understanding above , only timing and set-point (stat) are required from the stat. So guess it would be okay. The ‘Climatic’ stat has a to and from BUS with the boiler but I don’t see why it’s necessary for the stat to receive any info from the probe / boiler? Struggling to find any specific guidance on this.

Really appreciate any thought on the above.

Thanks in advance Ben

Ben

Sponsored Links
Update , I'm led to believe that the weather probes will work with any controller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back