Weather compensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This query is prompted by an earlier thread about unvented cylinders.

What do you do if you’re installing outdoor temperature compensation with a conventional system – heat-only or system boiler with diverter valve and HW cylinder?

As the boiler flow temperature is reduced by the outdoor temperature compensation it could be too low to heat the HW cylinder, so having both CH and HW together, using a mid-position valve (Honeywell system Y) doesn’t work. (Unless more features are added e.g. allow mid-position operation when the boiler flow temperature setpoint (via the outdoor controller) is say 5° higher than likely maximum cylinder stat setting.)

On a new installation, am I right thinking you would use an either/or diverter valve, with HW preference?

In a case of retrofitting outdoor temperature compensation, if the system has a mid-position valve, how would it be handled?

As I believe mid-position diverter valves are nowadays much more common than either/or, and the latest regs require outdoor temperature (and even weather, via the internet) compensation, I would guess this situation has been considered.

Sponsored Links
Yes hot water priority, depends on boiler but I normally use a relay to short or open circuit or change resistance seen by boiler to override weather comp.

Yes hot water priority, depends on boiler but I normally use a relay to short or open circuit or change resistance seen by boiler to override weather comp.
Thanks. So I would assume mid-position valves (Honeywell V4073 etc) are on the way out, at least for new installations and major upgrades.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back