Alpha CD13R - Any Good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My preferred plumbers/engineers installed an Alpha CD13R for me today, at a cost of around £1500, is this boiler any good? We have allowed him to fit whatever he recommended.

Gaz

Sponsored Links
Have they completed the Benchmark Certificate and notified CORGi of the installation?

Tyhe maximum warranty of 5 (?) years is dependent on all the requirements being correctly met. I think it also needs recorded servicing every year too.

The boilers are fine as long as the system is totally clean. Did they powerflush the system?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I repair those boilers and can assure you I fit them whenever I need a regular boiler. There are presently no serious neither any minor faults with them. We hardly ever attend one, I fixed one since September, whereas I have fixed hundreds of combis.

At the moment we are waiting for Alpha to make another mistake as we are not geting much work from them.

They are about to trial some dry pocket thermisters, to make changing a little easier. I see this as pointless, because the alpha isolation valves are excellent there is a very good drain off, and the present white thermisters are bullet proof. (Asside: repairers if you find yourself changing an Alpha white thermister think again, if it's domestic hot water problems indicating ntc's it is sludge in the plate, likewise if the diagnostics say pump, it's the plate. The white ntc's are completely bulletproof, the other colours need changing for white , though we are no longer instructed to do so as a matter of course, I would).

The last real problem Alpha had, has now been nailed, Back emf from the spark ignition process was taking out the spark generator, I believe Baxi experienced same problem but in their case it took out the pcb, for Heatline it took out the spark gen and Biasi also suffered originally but I understand found the problem sooner. Now that everyone has learned of that issue and more importantly how to cure it, we are all twiddling our thumbs.

Presently Alphas are behaving, plus the CDR range is the least likely to go wrong.

I read Economics at The University at Hull when it was a proper uni as opposed to a poly.

On the Marketing module, I learned that most research into a market is made AFTER the purchase.

OP you are demonstrating this behaviour beautifully.

I actually, because I know about it, always do my damndest to avoid this behaviour. Today I collect a new Citroen Dispatch. I have deliberately stopped looking into vans, I did all my research before, I don't need to waste my time proving to my self I made the right decision. The decision was made, that is history, now I shall attend to other areas of life that require thought.

Get on with your life, it's a great boiler.

Keep your system clean.

The best investment you could make right now is a Magnaclean or Boilerbuddy. Magnaclean is faster to service. Check it after a day then after a month then anually.

You must have done lots of researching to find anything advocating buying a citroen van.

Had to have a little smile to myself after your last post Paul, usually I am trawling the internet for info before I buy anything major, however I know nothing about boilers or heating systems, so left it to our usual plumbing company to decide what was best, they are really good & have been doing work for my family for years, so I was happy to trust their judgement.

Now, in my ignorance, can the Magnaclean be fitted by me, or should I call the guys back in?

Paul Barker said:
I believe Baxi experienced same problem but in their case it took out the pcb, for Heatline it took out the spark gen and Biasi also suffered originally but I understand found the problem sooner. Now that everyone has learned of that issue and more importantly how to cure it, we are all twiddling our thumbs.

Can you explain the technicalities of this in detail?

Which Biasi model was affected? How did they fix it?

Tony

Get them back OP

Tony the stand alone spark gen on the gianoni models every manufacturer using this spark gen had to learn about the back emf problem. The fix is correct secondary orientation of ht connector vis avis earth connector and a dongle in the ht leed to spark electrode (probably a resistor, could be an rf choke though, I haven't bothered to measure it). Nobody is suffering from it any longer afaik.

OK you got me there, if you don't count the cd50 fixing brackets. Actually I asked the in house guy how I would recognise the ones that need changing. "They'll be on the floor" was his reply. Yes we did get asked to look out for them. I guess they've fixed it, I haven't found any on the floor, but not a massively common boiler, maybe had to fix 4 in all, not brackets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back