alpha cd18r

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having a few problems with this boiler.

boiler is 4 years old (installer unknown) and fitted onto existing back boiler system.

Am having problems with the boiler making some horrendous banging noises! when working.

boiler cuts out with A&B illuminated. So, I told customer - sounds like circulation problem. So, I powerflushed and also converted system to a sealed system.

Now, I'm still having the same problem with the boiler banging away, but it now no longer cuts out on A&B. Is this heat exchanger prone to blockages? Is there a filter in the boiler some where that I don't know about?

Many Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
do you have temperature clamps etc..

really need to have an idea of whats going where and how quick

Sponsored Links
theres about a 35'c temp difference between the flow and return at the top of the boiler when the boiler starts up into high flame. Struggles to heat up the return at all going back to the boiler. New bypass valve fitted (temp doesn't change even if this is fully open)

when powerflushing we got the temp difference down to about 8'c

new (temporary) pump tried as well

Had exactly the same prob on the same boiler, it turned out to be the pump, but if youv already chaned the pump cant be that.
would be interested to know what the prob is.

with the pump I meant - new pump i had on the van, left in for the day, still no joy.

is there a filter in the boiler ??????

with the pump I meant - new pump i had on the van, left in for the day, still no joy.

is there a filter in the boiler ??????
Not to my knowlege............. I know it sounds obvious, you have probably checked but has somone turned off the flow/ret valve, coz people will mess about.

flow return isolators within the boiler? No haven't checked - but if all works ok with the kamco machine connected then I presummed boiler pipework is fine.

boiler was heavily cotaminated with debris when flushed - and the boiler did struggle to work with the pf machine, but when we reversed the direction of flow a couple of times then boiler seemed fine - hence the thought of a partially bloocked gauze filter on a retun pipe in the boiler somewhere??

When you changed the pump was it the head only or the body too??? because the blockage can form in the pump body neck the coke type that a pf wont shift, if that checks out ok would go to h/e.

brand new pump - DAB 65. more than enough for the system. never known a Hex to block as much as this though - Although deposits removed from the system on the PF were more like shingle!!!

No filter showing in the boiler. What chem did you use to PF?

3 x bottles of x800 plus about 3 weeks prior to PF we put some fernox cleaner into the system to run for a bit (as and when the boiler could)

are you thinking something a bit more acidic??

did spend a good 1-2 hours just on the boiler Hex when PF

I've got a bit of 22 somewhwere which was pfd by BG and the red elephant mob. I believe they both use X800. The bore in the middle's still about 8mm. And it's stuck in there - no flakes would come out of that, but I'd be thinking of putting the mains through your hex to and fro to see if anything appears. But yeah, FX2, DS40...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back