boiler probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help please have challenger boiler problems.... heating and hot water will run for 24/48 hrs then system will stop, red cut out pops out and pilot goes out system will restart after a lot of messing ,when boiler fires up there is a banging noise then it cuts out again after a lot of messing it will resart and if you bleed the boiler outlet it will run again normally for 24/48hrs sometimes longer

Sponsored Links
the red pop out is the boiler overheat stat. Its a safety device trying to say that something is wrong. If your bleeding air from your boiler constantly then air is getting in. have you increased your pump speed by any chance recently?

after a lot of messing
You need to be a lot more specific about the problem, boiler model, what you did to get it going, etc. e.g. what is system pressure? What do you mean by boiler outlet?

the boiler is a challenger 40 by boiler outlet i mean the hot water outlet from the boiler pump speed is on no2 of 3 (and not been altered)

Sponsored Links
Who is the manufacturer? Chaffoteaux et Maury? Ariston?

Chaffoteaux et Maury is the maker the boiler is mounted upstairs and the highest point of the system are the water inlet /outlet pipes which i have been bleeding to get the system to function all radiators work fine as does hot water by messing to get it started i mean bleeding the boiler and waiting for the overheat stat to cool to allow the pilot to light (impatiance and frustration) pump runs ok

Firstly pump should be on highest setting (I think).

Secondly, have you checked the system pressure - should be about 1.0 Bar?

have not checked the pressure this is not a combi boiler (more of an antique) the system was fine until about a couple of months ago then it did it once in a while but the last couple weeks this is happening more often could this be an intermmitant pump fault? tho it seems to function at the mo if you turn the speed up and down it speeds and slows

have just been and checked pump body is very hot to the touch is this a clue

I've been checking up on this boiler. As you say, it's not a combi or even a system boiler. Probably fed from a small tank - could you check the water level in this?

Also pump is not integral with boiler but separate, so may not need to be on highest speed. Boiler has pump overrun. You could be right about pump being problem. Difficult to suggest much more. All the usual suspects really - sludged up system, blocked pipes, feed and expansion problems, etc.

chris soon as i altered the pump speed re earlier response it started banging so i bled it and at mo ok. it is fed from a small loft tank and level does drop when i bleed system so the feed should be ok, when system is running ok all pipes and rads are hot as they should be then all of a sudden it will bang and sto[p bleed it as said earlier then it restarts

Can't really help much more unless you narrow it down a bit. Just too many possibilities and it's too late to start on all those. I'd concentrate on the pump and the feed and vent pipes and tank - look for any signs of problems. Also check that feed and vent pipes connect to flow pipe before pump in approved manner. Could pump be sucking in air via vent pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back