Alpha ETec33 boiler with Hive or Nest?

You need live and neutral to the heatlink which you have, leave to 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 empty, connect 0T1 and OT2 to 44 and 41 on the boiler, are you using the connections at the end to power your stat ? and leave the orange link in the boiler.

Capture.PNG

Sponsored Links
You need live and neutral to the heatlink which you have, leave to 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 empty, connect 0T1 and OT2 to 44 and 41 on the boiler, are you using the connections at the end to power your stat ? and leave the orange link in the boiler.

View attachment 194438
Thanks picasso.
No, the thermostat will be kept on a table in the stand, powered by usb, my combi boiler had no thermostst installed any way, so no writing to use.

I will be back at the property tomorrow and will wire as your instructions:

41/44 on Boiler to goto OT1/2 on the Heatlink

L+N on Boiler to goto L+,N on the Heatlink. [Aside: this seems be just to power the Heatlink, I could just take 2 wires from a plug outlet and power the heatlink?]

I will wire these and put pictures here for your confirmation, if that's ok.

Q2: Does Nest have remote thermostats that it can be linked with, i saw some posts on the internet which suggest you can add per room thermostats, but the google.site doesnt list any. I ask cos, it would be much easier for me to install rhe nest unit in the kitchen on the outside of the tall cabinet the boiler is installed behind.
It did, but it does not support it any more, they were designed to work with Energenie MiHome TRV heads, I have the heads bought them first, then got Nest, it is an odd idea, unlike every other where the wall thermostat is controlled by the TRV, with Energenie the TRV is controlled by the wall thermostat, and when you link the wall thermostat to the TRV when you change the temperature no Nest with the Energenie app on your phone the TRV heads follow it and go to same temperature.

Unfortunately when the Nest temperature is altered by the schedule or direct on the dial, the Energenie MiHome TRV does not follow, which makes the whole idea of linking rather useless, also in practice found the TVR head in the hall normally shows around 2°C less than the wall thermostat in the hall so I unlinked the TRV heads and simply used the same program schedule as Nest.

EPH do an opentherm wall thermostat with master and slave set up, so you can have zone control and Opentherm, but again does not seem to link to any TRV head.

I have not got an opentherm boiler so does not really worry me, but it does seem the industry is in disarray, where there is no system that will work with zoned heating and use the programmable TRV heads to give full control of the home, I can understand why, if using programmable TRV heads there is very little point in having zone valves, however the British house builders seem to consider zone valves are a requirement, which if not using programmable TRV heads I suppose they are, but it means retro fitting better controls is a problem.

L+N on Boiler to goto L+,N on the Heatlink. [Aside: this seems be just to power the Heatlink, I could just take 2 wires from a plug outlet and power the heatlink?]
No wire the heatlink to the boiler so there are no surprises for anyone working on the boiler in the future.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so, plumber connected things - attaching pics...

1) From the boiler OpenTherm connectors (41/44) direct to correspondong OT1 and OT2 on the Heatlink

2) L/N/E from Boiler to L/N/E on Heatlink, and from there to power socket. (plumber har already cut the power cable on the boiler, so, found it easier to wire that way)

Picasso/Ian, everyone else.. thanks for your help - havent powered on the boiler yet - can you please give a once over before I flick the switch?

Attachments

• ZomboDroid 07062020171843.jpg
    ZomboDroid 07062020171843.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 303
yes looks about right , have to say though it is a mess , why didnt you just buy some 4core or 5 core and get rid of that spiders web ? you will have to go into the boilers set up menu to tell it you are using non-manufacurers controls, it is just a bit of button pressing

Thanks Ian. I will turn on the boiler tomorrow when i get back to the property and change the settings to alternative control.

I would've used a Nest Pro Installer, but couldn't really get anyone where i am due to lockdown - the wiring is a result of the plumber deciding to do it all by himself - I will get some 5 core cable and redo the wiring once things settle down at the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back