alpha ocean 280p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an alpha ocean 280P boiler. The hot water to each basin/sink in the house (4) continuously runs hot as does the bath tap. However when you use the showers (2) where both the hot and cold taps need to be running on the bath the water fluctuates between hot and cold without altering either tap. This situation also occurs with the other shower, a mixer shower which states on the manufacturers instructions that it is OK to be used with a combination boiler such as mine. What occurs is that the main burner fires up to heat the water and after about a minute it goes out for about 15 seconds and then fires up again bringing back hot water before repeating the process of going out, but after only about 30 seconds subsequently, and then coming back on again. So the water fluctuates from very warm to very cold continuously. The service people tell me I need a new Heat Exchanger which is not covered but if this is the case why does the hot water remain constant when it comes from the hot tap only. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like it could well be the plate heat exchanger has a blockage or restriction which means when the boiler fires up it dosent move the hot water away fast enough and as a result the boiler shuts off on the thermostat and then as the hot water is eventually moved away the thermostat tells the boiler to fire again. The possible explaination for why it only works on certain draw offs is that bath taps and showers pass a lot more water than basin taps so the boiler has to work harder and generate more heat. There are other explainations such as burner pressures not being set correctly and faulty sensors which both should be covered under your service contract so it might be worth calling them back and asking them to check these before you shell out £100 plus for a new heat exchanger

Sponsored Links
Before going any further, I would ask you to measure the flow rate at which the boiler JUST turns on in litres per minute.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back