Alpha vs V2GY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently purchased a new PIR to replace a faulty unit on my Galaxy G-2. The sensor supports both V2GY and Alpha, as does the panel firmware. So the hopefully simple question is: should one set it to Alpha or V2GY? What are the pros/cons of each protocol?

Sponsored Links
Alpha is newer protocol and it gives longer lifetime for sensor batteries, usually battery lifetimes given by Honeywell are like three years on V2GY and four years on Alpha. Alpha is obviously more energy efficient, probably it's more resistant for interference. Alpha protocol sensor can send its address number to panel for self learning, not sure if that's possible with V2GY.

Alpha devices have larger address space, better routing, is duplex and fulfills most of grade 3 (banks ets?) requirements and is generally more robust, according to following document:
Honeywell: taking intruder alarms to a new Dimension (ifsecglobal.com)

I guess there is no reason to use V2GY if you can use Alpha, I remember vaguely reading that it is possible for radio portal (at least for newer C079-2) to use both protocols, but single sensor can use only single protocol, because there is no reason (for sensor) to use two protocol for communicating with portal. Panelwise, two protocols might make sense, because there maybe newer and older sensors with different protocols.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back