Altering a Split Load CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currenly have a 6+6 CU which is full to capacity.

One of these ways (16a, on the RCD side) is used to supply an outside socket and (via a S/FCU) a floodlight. As with most outdoor supplies this has occasionally tripped the RCD, long story short, I'm intending to replace this MCB with an RCBO.

As the non-rcd side of the CU is full, I am looking to "change the position of the split" in the CU to essentially create a 7+5 way board. I can see how I can cut the rcd side busbar easily, and change the neutral connection to the other side, but how to supply non-rcd protected live to the new RCBO?

My initial thought would be to use a small section of cable between the adjacent mcb connection to the busbar and the supply live on the new RCBO to create a link. Would this be acceptable?

What size cable would be required for such a link? Initially my thought was 25mm, same as the meter tails as there is no O/C protection for this cable, however I notice that the cable feeding the RCD is only 16mm, would this size therefore be okay to use? Could I use even smaller cable (say 2.5mm, 4mm?) as the RCBO is only rated to 16a.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Thanks RF, this MK busbar would be suitable for all CUs, yes? I assume the spacing is standard...

While we're at it, does anyone know if it is possible to get insulated busbar? If so, does anyone know where I can get some?

Yes the MK busbar will fit virtually all modern CUs.

You can get an insulated busbar, which is the same as the MK one, but it has a plastic shroud that clips onto it. Not sure where to get them, but I'm sure someone on here will know.

Sponsored Links
Having been shown it, I'm going to purchase the replacement busbar at the same time as the RCBO. Out of curiosity I'd still be interested to know if there's anything wrong with my original method of doing this though...

I can't find a model or type printed anywhere on the outside of the unit. It came full of GE MCBs and RCD, so I'd guess it was GE.

OK, thanks, don't know them, so have nothing sensible to say :oops:

Except that I think RCBOs are great.

For your situation, make sure the one you buy is one unit wide, same as an MCB (some are twice as wide)

It could well be GE or Steeple, Denmans' own brand, same as GE.

Do the breakers say Series E or Series G on them?

Click HERE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back