Altering front door to fit tight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a very beautiful Victorian front door that is in overall very good condition, but isn’t fitting tight with the frame at one corner. Having never adjusted a door before I’m reluctant to take out the old hinges until im sure the correct thing to do, but need to sort it out as it’s very draughty. The door fits perfectly along the top and hinge side all the way from top to bottom, but at the handle side is slightly sticking out at the bottom corner to about 50cm up. Somehow I need to pull the bottom corner in. The hinges are old but very sturdy and not lose at all- I can’t tighten any screws. There is a slight wedge shaped gap at the top corner of the same side but it is fitting tight and not letting in air there. Do I need to pull out the top hinge or pull in the bottom. Or something else? Thanks

20989C80-A580-4342-9946-5EE4747DC294.jpeg
88DB30B4-EB31-4C4A-88B5-38A52BC6DCB6.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You would expect some seasonal movement as doors expand with humidity, plus it's a very old door and some warping would be normal. It would prove almost impossible to plane the edges of the door or to make adjustments to the hinges to achieve what you want.

Can you fit weather strips like these?

https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-ironmongery/weatherstrips/cat840964

If not it might be a case of getting someone from the small ads of the local press of the "no job too small" service.

Or putting up a curtain on tracks or a pole would greatly help.

Just some ideas

Blup

You need to check if door is warped , twisted or simply misaligned .
Sometimes a book fold weather strip will seal , easy fix and easier than foam strips which only work if the door is in line .

Sponsored Links
This is really difficult to diagnose - ultimately there are far too many things to consider, see foxholes comment above.

You can either apply random packing techniques with various foams as a diy temp fix and hope for the best. Not pretty and will likely be ineffective.

What you need to do is remove the door and check for warping, twisting, moisture absorption on the door itself. Temp and humidity changes have a big impact but it this can be lessened by the door having an adequate finish (varnish, paint, wax etc) to keep it more stable and reduce this effect. The current condition and location of the issue lends me to believe swelling and movement from moisture.

From outside, with the door closed,can you see that it sits flat against the door stop (door jamb)? Depending how it sits may be able to give you a best guess of what’s happening before you start trying anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back