Altering the Joist Hanger on landing

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

Hi. I need to do an alteration of some type to the joist hangers that are upholding some joist members on the landing of my home.

The house was built in 1957 -ish.

I'm relaying some floorboards and they will not lie flat at some point (where some joint hangers are) and therefore will not match the level of the existing boards.

What would you do? My prefered option would be to replace the topmost nail (the one that is driven in horizontally) with a bolt, and remove the metal overlapping the top of a joist. Except that it might not be easy to make the required hole in the joist in some joist members.

The alternative is to recess the top metal part into a joist.

Please see picture. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I need this confirming, but I would have thought the loads are such that the metal strip part does not need to overhang. If the hanger has a bolt fixing.

My problem though would be getting to make a hole to secure the right hand hanger you see in the picture by way of bolt. It would be easy to drill holes for bolts in the others.

P.S. I could drill holes with angled drill chuch gadget.

What size bolt I wonder 6mm, 9mm, 12mm?

Sponsored Links
I can see me bolting the hanger. Unless someone says no.

I bet two 6mm bolts on either side of a hanger would easily be strong enough. Enabling the overhang to be dispensed with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back