Alternative planks for decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not really like the branded 'decking timber' you find in the big sheds with the grooves in. Can i use plain timbers? My mother has the grooved stuff and its slippery as anything so if the grooves are there they are not doing much. Would should i look for that will last externally kiln dried or something? I'm paining to stain it a grey anyway.

Sponsored Links
you can use timber without grooves. a lot of decking timber has a grooved side and a smooth side to give you that option.

but if you find grooved decking slippery, be prepared for some real fun on un-grooved.

the paving expert site has some pages on decking

I used 25mm x 150mm sawn treated softwood boards and found these much less slippery.

ironically the smooth is less slippy because its the dirt and algae that makes decking slippy and the smooth is much much easier to keep clean.

Sponsored Links
I used 25mm x 150mm sawn treated softwood boards and found these much less slippery.
I used the same stuff for my deck, ran a router with a bearing guided radius bit along each edge to take the corners off, as I prefer the look and I think it helps prevent the edges splintering. Very economical to buy from a local farmers suppliers in 4m lengths. Installed about 7 years ago and still in good condition, treat about once a year with Algon to keep it clean, no scrubbing or pressure washing required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back