decking treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a raised decking area, supported on tannalised 8" diameter posts, about 2m off the ground at the greatest height (it's on a slope).

The deck planks are looking a bit grey and dry and I noticed are cracking at the ends. There seems to be a wide range of timber preservatives, oils etc, at prices anywhere from a fiver for 5litres, to nearly 50 quid!

What's the best one to use, which will do the job (brushed on) without costing a limb?

Sponsored Links
oil
oil
oil
oil
oil
oil
oil

have i made myself clear? ANything else is just a disaste waiting to happen

Hi Thermo - you seem to have a lot of experience in this area :LOL:

What is the problem with alternatives to decking oil?

I had read users recommendations of oil - but in searching for good price on deck oil came across this... http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/ultra_tough_decking_stain_overview.jsp

dst_lrg.jpg

Cuprinol Ultra Tough Decking Stain offers a rich semi-transparent colour with a tough durable finish. It has a unique double action formulation which has invisible anti-slip microbeads to make decks safer than untreated wood and an algicide to help protect the film surface from green algae and mould growth.

I like the idea of 'invisible antislip microbeads' LOL :LOL:

Is this just 'bull' - or is it a durability problem or what? - I am here to learn :LOL: This is my first deck project so your experienced advice is much appreciated :cool:

I quite fancy getting a bit of colour onto the wood - maybe teak or oak - need to discuss with the missus :LOL:

Cheers :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
i reguarly see stained decks, that have worn or flaked or not taken properly. The stain does nothing to nourish the wood either. Once youve stained it thats it youre stuck with it. Oil will nourish the wood and keep it looking good.

From what I have read - an alternative to oil in the first year is Seasonite but it is quite expensive even more so than oil. Oil is then used for all subsequent applications. This is from information from various sources not just in UK but USA and Australia.

I ripped out my old decking last year, it had previously been painted with decking stain and, as others have said, it flaked and peeled. No way was I spending the summer on my hands and knees trying to get the stuff out of the ridges in the board so I could retreat it. So I ended up ripping it up, using the board elsewhere around the garden and laying new board which I've treated with Cuprinol decking oil. No colour or tint, just keeps the colour of the wood and you can watch the rain water just roll off it... :)

In fact, I plan to be re-oiling it this weekend, weather permitting.

once a year is fine. With new decking i tend to leave it till the green tinge from the preseravtive has gone off. The oil will never go as far as the tin says, especially when its dry!

Ok - thanks for the replies - how often do you need to re-oil? - and should it be first done as soon as the deck is finished?
Thanks
I would oil it as soon as you have finished installing it,I oil mine twice a year spring and autumn,might be overkill but mine gets weathered alot it faces south.

Oil it is then. As the wood has weathered to grey, I don't suppose it'll put any colour back into it?

Oh, and I can only treat the upper surface and ends. is that OK?

Would 'creocote' be similar as the oil? Still oil based I think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back