Alternative to conti board - Looking for thick chunky wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any alternative to white furniture panels, as they look so 1970s!.

Where can I get 'chunky' looking good similar to this furniture in IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60282186/

I tried to find something in IKEA, so could adapt for my project, but most have pre-drilled holes.

Is there anywhere, where I can order online made-to-measure or standard off-the-shef?

Sponsored Links
Melamine faced chipboard (MFC) or melamine faced MDF (MF-MDF) is generally available in 18mm thickness (Contiplas is 15mm) in a variety of colours and wood grains and is more durable than Contiplas. Because it comes as sheets (often 8 x 4ft or 2440 x 1220mm) it is possible to cut your components to size (slightly oversize is better), but double the quantity. The doubles are then glued together to make-up 36mm thick boards, which can be trimmed and edged using iron-on edging (available in widths up to about 50mm if you look on eBay). Sorry, wouldn't know where to get stuff like this on line - I tend to use outlets which deal direct. If you are in Manchester or Sheffield try HPP (Hills Panel Products) for a wide variety of MFC, including 15 and 18mm pre-edge banded (but they don't do thicker stuff).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back