alternative to dot and dab for soundproofing

28 Apr 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm having the ground floor kitchen/diner of my 5 year old new build totally rebuilt because it needs a cavity/drain system (another story). In the process the dot and dab will be removed. Although my house is end terraced, the block is staggered so the walls of the kitchen/diner are all either internal or external. However despite nobody being directly on the other side of the wall I notice a lot of flanking sound (voices mostly) travelling behind the dot and dab along the party wall and then into my kitchen/diner. I would like to be able to watch movies and play music in this room without the sound travelling behind the dot and dab across the party wall. So, I have an opportunity to replace it with something else, but I'm not sure what? would battening out from the bare block wall, insulating with rockwool and then acoustic plasterboard be worth it? A cheaper option that occurs to me, since the sound isn't coming directly through the wall, but across it, is just sealing up the edges of the dot and dabbed board properly with either foam or a continuous line of the the dab cement like they're supposed to do but apparently don't.Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
There’s a system called Gyproc Gyplyner that might help
Good sound insulation consists of a combination of high density layers, low density layers, air voids and assembly with minimal connection. Of course you also have to weigh it against cost. A good solution at the more reasonable end would be a 75mm timber stud set approximately 25mm off of the wall surface. Insulate between with 50mm acoustic mineral wool. (don't use ordinary loft roll type mineral) Then board with 2 layers of soundcheck board with staggered joints. 2 layers of 15mm would be best but 12.5mm would do. For a slightly better performance fix resilient bars to the stud before boarding. The framework and boards should be thoroughly sealed at the perimeter with acoustic sealant.

The high/low density thing is because high density materials are very good for low frequency sounds but very poor for high frequency sounds. So a good acoustic wall must include both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links