Alternative to Quinetic switches?

ehhh? Its in the room.. Right behind the door.. So I have to go in, close the door behind me and then struggle to find the switch.

I can't stress how dark it is.. I am on the edge of town so there is literally no light of any kind.. And once you go into the room you may as well close your eyes..

For some reason the developers put the switch on the hinge side of the door, where as it should have gone on the other side...

It really isn't a big deal.. I can live with it if I have too.. Buts its far from ideal.....

Sponsored Links
After you wrote this I had a look at Youtube and there are actually a few "presence" sensors.. One using 24ghz Radar to detect movement which apparently works
Yes, there are plenty of radar-based (rather than IR-based) detectors around and (as well as being more expensive) they are in some ways superior (primarily less liable to 'false triggering', but they are, I think, still movement detectors, not 'presence' ones - and, if so, won't detect someone who remains still for a long time.

I think that one drawback of the radar ones in indoor situations is that they can sometimes 'see through walls', and therefore can detect movement outside of the room in which they are installed.

Kind Regards, John

Why can't you turn it on before you go into the room and off after you come out of the room.
Because at those times he is in a different room than the switch. :)

Allow me:

1673365188864.png

:) Exactly... And if you drew a negative of that image (so its black) that might give you an idea of what its like at night.

Sponsored Links
This should help understand what I am trying to do... Light switch is on the right.. Door is hinged on the right.. Door is open and gets in the way of the switch, so you have to close it behind you to get to the switch...

Not actually so bad going in.. But coming out can be dangerous as you have to switch off the light (giving you immediate night blindness) and then open the door to get out without smacking yourself in the face with the door and tripping over the step.

If the switch was on the other side, I could simply step out and switch the light off as I go....

So I want the switch on the left side where the red box is....

Attachments

• upstairs switch 2.jpg
    upstairs switch 2.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 40
Get a sensor light with an override function or a seperate pir sensor also with override function ....walk in light comes on , turn switch off on off on light stays on

There are loads of generic "kinetic" switches on eBay and Aliexpress that are less £60. Can't vouch for them. Not sure what happens if you want to add a switch to some no-brand one in 18 months.

There are loads of generic "kinetic" switches on eBay and Aliexpress that are less £60. Can't vouch for them. Not sure what happens if you want to add a switch to some no-brand one in 18 months.
I don't think the "Kinetic" switches are unusal.. Whats more rare is a receiver which fits in a light socket and operates on Switched live..

Most of the generic wireless switches need live and netural so would need wiring into the rose.. And this may not be as difficult as I am thinking..

But I am swaying towards the Quinetic switch now as I realise the 'slave' switch is waterproof.. So actually could go outside the door.. This would be a really nice upgrade to the room so I am getting tempted now to go down this route.

Who specified that UPVC door to hinge on the wrong side? ;)

IP 66 Waterproof mains switches exist often with neon indicators (perhaps can be used to indicate light left ON). Fit it via a rear entry hole through to the existing switch back box.? https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/outdoor-switches/cat3360010 other makes and designs exist.

In that room I'd be tempted to just run surface conduit round to the other side of the door or a ceiling pull cord switch.

Who specified that UPVC door to hinge on the wrong side? ;)

IP 66 Waterproof mains switches exist often with neon indicators (perhaps can be used to indicate light left ON). Fit it via a rear entry hole through to the existing switch back box.? https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/outdoor-switches/cat3360010 other makes and designs exist.

In that room I'd be tempted to just run surface conduit round to the other side of the door or a ceiling pull cord switch.

The original developer (Barrett Homes) would have done this.. But I guess the original owner is to blame for not objecting at the time... I certainly would..

I don't really need a neon.. The door has a pane of glass so its easy to see that the light is on. That said, the Neon is on when the light is off I guess, so that could be useful in the dark.

I do like the idea of a switch outside as it has a lot of benifits.. Perhaps I am overthinking things by adding a "wireless" switch and instead could just put an external light and convert to 2 day as you suggest... I am going to look into that as an option....

My only reistance is that this face of the garage get hammered by the weather... All of the fittings and fixtures on that side are ruined.. So i worry about water ingress.. But I guess if the back box is sealed against the wall and the switch/box is IP66 rated, I have little to fear.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:
Get a key fob for the quinetic products and just turn the light on on the way to the garage

I do like the idea of a switch outside as it has a lot of benifits.. Perhaps I am overthinking things by adding a "wireless" switch and instead could just put an external light and convert to 2 day as you suggest... I am going to look into that as an option.... My only reistance is that this face of the garage get hammered by the weather... All of the fittings and fixtures on that side are ruined.. So i worry about water ingress.. But I guess if the back box is sealed against the wall and the switch/box is IP66 rated, I have little to fear.
As you say, probably OK -although anything electrical exposed to elements is somewhat of an 'uncertainty', even if allegedly IP66!

As an aside, if it were my house, I might be thinking rather 'laterally' For a start, I might well consider ...
In that room I'd be tempted to just run surface conduit round to the other side of the door .....
If I didn't like that idea (presumably only because of appearance), and if I were worried about water ingress into an 'outdoor' switch, I might consider changing the current indoor switch to some sort of 'push' one (push to switch on, push again to switch off), somehow mounted 'back to front' (push button facing wall) and then have some sort of (plastic/wood/whatever) 'rod' going through the way to some sort of button which allowed the switch to be operated from outdoors. In that way there would be nothing electrical outside 'facing the elements'. Probably too complicated/unconventional/esoteric for you - but a sort of approach which I might possibly consider! ... or even an 'internalpullswitch with the pull cord going through the wall9probably with pulleys)!

Another 'lateral thinking' approach might be to install a 'push to break' switch in the doorframe, wired in parallel with the existing light switch, such that the light came on whenever the door was open - which would enable one to enter the room and find the existing switch, even in the dark. However, that would mean that the light was already on whenever the door was open - but even that 'problem' could probably be addressed by "2-way switching".

Those are just a couple of examples which illustrate that, if you really want to, there are any number of 'unconventional' approoached which can be considered!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back