Using quinetic switches to move light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking to move bedside light switches a foot either side to accommodate a bigger bed in the bedroom and wondering if anyone had any ideas about using a wireless/quinetic switch to do this to avoid actually moving the switch?

One side is a simple 1 gang switch for the bedside light. The other side is a 3 gang which controls the bedside light above, but also controls the centre ceiling light and downlights which have their own switches by the door.

Any ideas appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Looking to move bedside light switches a foot either side to accommodate a bigger bed in the bedroom and wondering if anyone had any ideas about using a wireless/quinetic switch to do this to avoid actually moving the switch?

One side is a simple 1 gang switch for the bedside light. The other side is a 3 gang which controls the bedside light above, but also controls the centre ceiling light and downlights which have their own switches by the door.

Any ideas appreciated?
My first thought is to move the switches, especially if the old position is covered by the bed.

Or

New switches in preferred positions and extend cables from existing back boxes and use blanks to cover them up

Sponsored Links
I have a four gang switch (two bedside lights, main room lights and en-suite) just above headboard level at the centre point of the bed such that either of us can reach all switches. (my wife regularly falls asleep when reading so I just reach up and turn her light out, simples..)

I use Energenie smart switches with remote controls which means I can easy turn on/off from the bed, but it is the
bit which makes anything like that hard, getting any three gang switch is hard never mind smart type, so would seem only option is move the switch without any smart or remote option. Just a blanking plate in old location.

Yes, I was trying to avoid moving the actual switches to save on making more holes in the way and the mess of the DIY.

Can see the wireless switches would work easily for the side with the 1 gang switch, but its the 3 gang as someone mentioned that Im struggling to figure out. Failing to find a 3 gang wireless receiver to put into the existing switch, can I convert the 3 gang into a 2 gang for the wireless easily, and just combine the 2 sets of ceiling lights into one switch (i.e turn it into 1 ceiling and 1 bedside) and control it with a 2 gang switch?

Or could I put a 2 gang receiver into the existing wall switch, and put a stand-alone receiver in of the lights?

Haven't used these wireless types of switches before so don't know whats actually possible with them...

TIA

They do a two gang wall switch with built in receiver that you could perhaps have at the door, then single receivers for the bed lights.
Or just bite the bullet and hack out the wall......

Yes, I was trying to avoid moving the actual switches to save on making more holes in the way and the mess of the DIY.

Can see the wireless switches would work easily for the side with the 1 gang switch, but its the 3 gang as someone mentioned that Im struggling to figure out. Failing to find a 3 gang wireless receiver to put into the existing switch, can I convert the 3 gang into a 2 gang for the wireless easily, and just combine the 2 sets of ceiling lights into one switch (i.e turn it into 1 ceiling and 1 bedside) and control it with a 2 gang switch?

Or could I put a 2 gang receiver into the existing wall switch, and put a stand-alone receiver in of the lights?

Haven't used these wireless types of switches before so don't know whats actually possible with them...

TIA
I have limited experience with these sorts of devices and all of it is based on the problems they have/create so from the off I'm on a bit of a downer.

Don't forget you have 2 way switching in the room which means it won't only be the bedside switches you have to amend.
The receiver will not fit in the existing backbox so unless it will okay to stick out behind the bed you will have to find somewhere else for it and the associated cabling changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back