Bedroom lighting ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Firstly, well done to all of you who regularly give up your time to help others on here, I've learned loads since I started to read the forum a couple of years back.

I'm currently re-vamping our main bedroom which at the moment has a central ceiling pendant (2 way switched at wall and via pull cord above the bed) and two bedside lamps (plugged into 13amp single sockets behind the bed).

I'd like to control the 2 bedside lamps from light switches each side of the bed (1 light switch controlling one lamp).

I was thinking of replacing the single 13 amp sockets with double outlets (both would be on a ring) to be used for alarm clocks and phone chargers, and then taking a spur off each of these sockets to a 20amp switch which would then feed a single 13amp socket for the bed side lamps.

Does this sound do-able, or would taking a FCU of the ring and using 5a round pin sockets be a better idea?

If I used the FCU option, would that allow me to remove the pull cord from above the bed and use 2gang switchs to control the bedside lamps and ceiling light?

Apologies if the above doesn't make sense, if so shout up and I'll try and do a drawing.

Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't the simplest thing be to replace the lampholders with ones with switches in?

BG252.JPG

If you want a wall switch, then use an FCU, 5A fuse, and you might as well put 5A round pin sockets in.

What you might like to consider then is a 2-gang 2-way switch each side of the bed (you could use an architrave one if you want it to be less obtrusive), and replace the existing switch for the ceiling light (presumably by the door) with an intermediate.

Then each person* has control of the ceiling light and their own bedside one.

* Please write for further advice, and include photos, if this means more than 2.

Many thanks gents

As SWMBO wants swtiched lighting I'll go with the FCU solution.

Just out of interest, why would the FCU be a better solution than the DP switch?

Sponsored Links
As SWMBO wants swtiched lighting I'll go with the FCU solution.
You can have switched lighting on the lighting circuit - it's what you have now in every room in the house.

Just out of interest, why would the FCU be a better solution than the DP switch?
Because you could then have a 2-gang light switch instead of 2 separate switches which don't look the same or feel the same to operate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back