Alternatives to PVC trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gents,

Thanks for your help with the RCD question. This one is trickier :(

This is in the same rented property, so all has to be 100% legal and through the proper channels.

I have an illegal loft room the tenants are aware is to be used for storage only. In practice, it is too uninsulated to be used as a room anyway. I wish to block off the stairs next time I have vacant possession as I think it's all a bit of a liability, so appearance not an issue.

There is timber studwork and masterboard/plasterboard separating my loft from that of the neighbours, and clipped direct to this wall is run the T+E cable feeding one double socket for the loft and, via an FCU, a light and switches. Also a 6mm to the bathroom T+E feeding the 8.5kW shower. The cable is LSF, so quite tough, and I did not think it was a problem, nor did my previous PIR inspector.

The new inspector thinks the cable should be mechanically protected, and I see his point really, especially as the 6mm runs horizontal to the floor about 150mm high and there is a lot of stuff stored up there.

Obvious solution would be PVC trunking. Sadly I am unwilling to use PVC on environmental grounds. The electrical firm has no alternative to offer. I was wondering whether I could DIY this, as it is non-notifiable, and I am currently working short-term contracts, so I have the time to spare.

Ideas I have had:

1. Cover with battens and timber and cover with warning labels. Problem: not sure if this is really considered an acceptable solution, though I note Richard Burbage mouldings does manufacture a timber conduit.

2. Cover whole wall with batten and hardboard with warnings painted on cable run zones. Problem: cable runs would not be in prescribed zones, and the studding is only plastered on my side. Would need to stop short of ceiling as there is a JB which, obviously, must be accessible.

3. Find a hippy electrical firm. Problem: I do not know one, and I don't live in the Dyfi valley, so probably there isn't one.

4. As 2, but use an open mesh instead of hardboard - this would probably not be considered a wall, the cables would be visible but they would no longer be subject to potential mechanical damage.

5. Armoured cable or steel conduit - problem: notifiable, would need to disturb terminations.

6. Split flexible non PVC conduit clipped to wall. Problem: not designed for electrical cable installation, 6mm may overheat,(?) and enclosures would need modification.

7. Look through skips for used PVC trunking. Problem: doesn't look very professional.

I've been making this up as I go along, so would appreciate advice on the above, or some better ideas?

Riccardo

PS. Obviously if I do the work, I would still have a C2 on my new EICR, whereas if I use the firm that did the EICR, they would give me a 'pass' but, if the problem has been solved, I don't care!

Sponsored Links
Obvious solution would be PVC trunking. Sadly I am unwilling to use PVC on environmental grounds.

**** off, what do you think the cable itself is made off?

:D

Seriously though, some strips of batten with some plywood over the top will be fine.

Err... 6242B LSOH, not PVC. Did I not put that in my post... will check.

Anyway, what is there is there eg the windows! Most eco thing is to use it until it needs replacement.

The new inspector thinks the cable should be mechanically protected, and I see his point really, especially as the 6mm runs horizontal to the floor about 150mm high and there is a lot of stuff stored up there. ... Obvious solution would be PVC trunking. Sadly I am unwilling to use PVC on environmental grounds.
As has already been observed, your position regarding PVC seems somewhat odd, given that both insulation and sheathing of the cable are presumably PVC! Edit: I missed the LSF, too - apologies :oops:

Whatever, and probably more importantly, if your inspector feels that 'mechanical protection' is required, I would be doubtful whether he would necessarily find any sort of plastic 'protection' to be acceptable - unless, of course, he doesn't really mean 'mechanical protection' :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I gather PVC trunking is available that is made from recycled PVC, though I don't know who makes it.

Also, PVC trunking is apparently 100% recyclable, so would that be acceptable, knowing one day it 'should' get recycled?

I'll send you loads off my off cuts instead of hoying them into the skip. How green is that :)

Won't use PVC. Just when I thought I'd heard it all icon_rolleyes.gif

What did you expect from a former Centre for Alternative Technology volunteer? :)

Whatever, and probably more importantly, if your inspector feels that 'mechanical protection' is required, I would be doubtful whether he would necessarily find any sort of plastic 'protection' to be acceptable - unless, of course, he doesn't really mean 'mechanical protection' icon_smile.gif

Well, those are the exact words on the EICR, I have my scepticism too. But I suppose most people use conduit because it looks neater and then it becomes the norm, so anything less is then less protected...

Whatever, and probably more importantly, if your inspector feels that 'mechanical protection' is required, I would be doubtful whether he would necessarily find any sort of plastic 'protection' to be acceptable - unless, of course, he doesn't really mean 'mechanical protection' icon_smile.gif
Well, those are the exact words on the EICR, I have my scepticism too. But I suppose most people use conduit because it looks neater and then it becomes the norm, so anything less is then less protected...
FWIW, when the regs talk about 'mechanical protection', they are usually referring to protection against hammers/nails, screws and drills etc. - and that generally requires heavy metal conduit, certainly not plastic, and not even thin metal 'capping' etc. I would certainly doubt that any lack of required 'mechanical protection' that was allegedly non-compliant with regs and therefore deserving of a mention on an EICR could be satisfactorily addressed with anything plastic.

Kind Regards, John

You want protection but it is not notifiable and does not have to conform to any regulations.
Would a timber batten at each side of the cable be sufficient? They would stop boxes or things hitting the cable unless the items were just the wrong (or right) size. No cover means the cable can be seen so is safe from having someone drill into it.
I support CAT so can understand your reluctance to use PVC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back