External trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do a couple of short runs of lighting cables along an outside wall. I'd like black trunking, which I only found in plastic. Is normal PVC trunking ok to use outside?

Sponsored Links
Black pvc conduit is more usual.

If you do use it, you must construct it in such a way that rain water cannot find it's way into the electrical fittings.

I need to do a couple of short runs of lighting cables along an outside wall. I'd like black trunking, which I only found in plastic. Is normal PVC trunking ok to use outside?
Are you sure you need (or so you want to have) trunking/conduit of any sort? Suitable cables can simply be clipped to an external wall, without being contained in anything.

Kind Regards, John

Black PVC round conduit can be used outside. It will eventually fade to grey over a period of years or a decade.

Trunking is generally square/rectangular galvanised steel and can be used outside. If other colours are desired it can be powder coated in almost any colour.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you need (or so you want to have) trunking/conduit of any sort? Suitable cables can simply be clipped to an external wall, without being contained in anything.

Kind Regards, John
Really? What are suitable cables? I guess I could terminate the ones poking out the wall in a terminal box, then continue with the suitable cable?

Really? What are suitable cables?
Although not intended or recommended for outdoor use, even standard PVC twin+earth cable will last for many years outdoors, the only eventual issue being that constant exposure to UV radiation can make the PVC deteriorate and become brittle. In fact, if painted with suitable paint, it might well last 'for ever'.

However, almost any rubber-sheathed flexible cable (most commonly black) is suitable for outdoor use (as usually will be indicated by those who sell it).
I guess I could terminate the ones poking out the wall in a terminal box, then continue with the suitable cable?
Yes, you could do that if it were more convenient than taking the 'suitable cable' through the wall.

Kind Regards, John

Lighting can take many forms - the op might be considering illuminating a football pitch, or just a light in his hut.
True, but I know what I suspect, given that this is a DIY forum!

In fact, even if a football pitch were involved, that would really only affect the size of the cable, not the 'type' of cable.

Kind Regards, John

Lighting can take many forms - the op might be considering illuminating a football pitch, or just a light in his hut.
Yeah sorry, should have mentioned, it's for the 3rd runway at Heathrow. Apparently they need to land the planes in the dark too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back