exterior trunking options discreet and stylish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We leave in a Victorian conversion building with the consumer unit located outside in a locker in the front garden (i.e. external power supply). We wanted to upgrade the consumer unit and install a new cable from the unit to inside the building.

This was done in outdoor conduit with plastic trunking. A round tube of 1.5 inch was installed along the garden side wall and around the bay window to the main entrance.

Although it serves the purpose, it looks awful! It looks like a long handrail installed below the bay window!

Are there any exterior trunking options more discreet or more stylish?

Could we use just a reinforced cable or a flat shaped trunking?

Many thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
with the consumer unit located outside
Are you sure that's your consumer unit? More common for the meter and cutout to be outside. What is at the other end of that 'round tube of 1.5 inch', and is it metal or plastic?

Last edited:
It isn't, I'm sure, but if your consumer unit really was in a locked enclosure in your front garden then you would have everyone's deepest sympathy. And it wouldn't be "a" cable from there to the house, it would be dozens.

consumer unit located outside in a locker in the front garden
pics.gif

Sponsored Links
SP Energy Networks appear to use MICC (at least it has an orange sheath) covered with capping on external cables from overhead supplies.

I'm not clear what the wiring in question is for, I interpret it to be a cable for some garden electrics.

Assuming we are talking about just one cable (that doesn't belong to the electricity board, the best option is to use SWA cable cleated to the wall, which doesn't require trunking.

Indeed.

Who knows WT* he meant. By that he could have meant his point of electricity supply is external.

Basically nobody here really knows what he meant, what he has, or what he wants to do, so probably the best thing is for everyone to fall silent in this topic until he comes back and clarifies.

Yes it is the consumer unit in a locked enclosure in the front garden. Though; it is only for the communal staircase area electricity. Each flat has its own consumer unit inside.

Before, we just had 4 ceiling lights in the staircase. Now, we wanted to install a socket for hovering and a fire alarm in the staircase and we decided to update the consumer unit also (it was done back in 1982).

Inside the staircase we will try to use ceiling cornice trunking or skirting board trunking, the problem is in the front garden. The newly installed conduit trunking looks like a hospital handrail installed all around the front garden and under the bay window!

Can we put any trunking or there is special for outdoor?

I have seen some ¼ circle PVC trunking that may be more discrete…any other options?

Many thanks for the help!

a picture would be good?

if it's a victorian conversion, isn't it possible to enter the flat nearest the box and go under the floors to the hall?

( not a sparx)

You are going to need to use an electrician - there is absolutely no way that you can DIY this, so get a few in to quote, to look at the situation and you can discuss your concerns with them.

Installing new CUs, (and new circuits?), work on electrical installations in the shared public areas of a group of flats - none of this is work which you can do yourselves.

Last edited:
We did employ an electrician and he has a good job. Though, it is solid and it serves its purpose it does not look good. That’s why we decided to change the trunking and somehow hide the cable.

Where can we look for such a solution?

Any website with many cable management products?

Inside the staircase we will try to use ceiling cornice trunking or skirting board trunking
I thought the work was yet to be done.

I'm starting to feel a bit at sea with the fluid tenses washing around in your posts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back