New ring main, cables attached under joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an extension we are going to convert to a kitchen. This will be checked and signed off with building control, however, I have an electrics question.

There's one plug socket in there, wired to the consumer unit under the stairs, in plastic trunking running along the wall at ceiling level.

I know an electrician, who says if I do the hard work (lay the ring main, install the sockets etc), he will safety test it , connect it to the consumer unit and notify building control. Ditto with a radial for the oven.

The existing ring main (for the house) is loose under the floors, resting on the foundations with no clips.

1) Under the floor - can I attach the new cables to the side of the joists where the cables run the length of the room, and, run them under the joists (rather than drilling through them) when running the width of the room? Obviously clipping the cables so they're attached rather than hanging loose.

2) Where the extension joins the house, under the floor, the old exterior wall separates the existing kitchen and extension. Its a good foot thick. It would be easiest for me, access wise, to remove a few bricks down under the double doorway between the rooms, run the cables there, and put a small concrete lintel down to restore the original level. I'd end up with a brick sized hole. Is this an acceptable thing to do to run the cables?

3) I also need to run hot and cold water to the extension. Assuming #2 is acceptable, I'll need to run hot and cold water through the same hole. It it OK for these services to be run together? Any regs on separation or depth?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I know an electrician, who says if I do the hard work (lay the ring main, install the sockets etc), he will safety test it , connect it to the consumer unit and notify building control. Ditto with a radial for the oven.
That's ok, if he supervises all the work.

The existing ring main (for the house) is loose under the floors, resting on the foundations with no clips.
As do millions of others.
Ring final circuit; not ring main.

1) Under the floor - can I attach the new cables to the side of the joists where the cables run the length of the room, and, run them under the joists (rather than drilling through them) when running the width of the room? Obviously clipping the cables so they're attached rather than hanging loose.
You can if you wish.

2) Where the extension joins the house, under the floor, the old exterior wall separates the existing kitchen and extension. Its a good foot thick. It would be easiest for me, access wise, to remove a few bricks down under the double doorway between the rooms, run the cables there, and put a small concrete lintel down to restore the original level. I'd end up with a brick sized hole. Is this an acceptable thing to do to run the cables?
If you mean the wall is two leafs and a cavity, it would seem easy to remove one lower brick from each leaf.
I doubt any remedial work - lintel - would be necessary.

3) I also need to run hot and cold water to the extension. Assuming #2 is acceptable, I'll need to run hot and cold water through the same hole. It it OK for these services to be run together? Any regs on separation or depth?
It would be alright if they are not wrapped together as is sometimes seen.
Why not remove another two bricks?

Oh - why not ask your electrician?

As said many don't bother clipping cables under a suspended floor. Rarely only a minimal amount of floorboards are lifted up, so not much can be clipped.

Also makes future alterations easier.

Don't drill any joists on a downstairs floor. It's pointless, weakens the joists when it's not even necessary, makes cables vulnerable to get nailed through, and generally a waste of time and effort.

Usually one whole brick can be removed safely, a lintel generally isn't necessary.

Oh - why not ask your electrician

Hahaha I will. I'm at the "planning and trying to see how much I can do myself as money is tight" stage. When I get to closer to doing the work, he'll come over and discuss.

Sponsored Links
Hahaha I will. I'm at the "planning and trying to see how much I can do myself as money is tight" stage. When I get to closer to doing the work, he'll come over and discuss.
If you want him to notify the work then he should be involved in all stages.

It's no good you doing something he later disagrees with.

I've an extension we are going to convert to a kitchen. This will be checked and signed off with building control
If you have already applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or by default allow them to assume would be the way that you would ensure compliance with Part P?

If you've not yet applied, what do you plan to say, etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back