Aluminium Towel Radiators - Good or bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking at aluminium towel rads as they seem the ideal solution i.e. corrosion resistant, relatively cheap, good looking, high output, low water volume. Seen the odd post though where there is talk of issues with them and suggesting you're better with steel.
What are people's views on such rads, good or bad? TIA

Sponsored Links
1. Don't know what you mean by high output. Output depends on area, not on material.
2. Their water volume is unlikely to be any less than, any may well be more than, a steel radiator giving the equivalent heat output.
3. They are corrosion resistant, but any well maintained set of steel radiators won't suffer from corrosion.
4. If you want them, get them, but the only deciding factor is appearance.
5. They are more expensive than steel radiators.

1. Don't know what you mean by high output. Output depends on area, not on material.
2. Their water volume is unlikely to be any less than, any may well be more than, a steel radiator giving the equivalent heat output.
3. They are corrosion resistant, but any well maintained set of steel radiators won't suffer from corrosion.
4. If you want them, get them, but the only deciding factor is appearance.
5. They are more expensive than steel radiators.
Thanks for your response.

1. I'm referring to a like-for-like comparison, based upon size. Aluminium conducts better and gives a very good output for its size
2. Water volume tends to be less for aluminium rads; check it out
4. I saw comments about them being more susceptible to corrosion than steel, under certain conditions
5. Cost is less important to me than aesthetics and output

1. We are talking about conduction through around 1mm of metal. It will make negligible difference.
2. Why does water volume matter?

Sponsored Links
1. We are talking about conduction through around 1mm of metal. It will make negligible difference.
2. Why does water volume matter?
I guess that less water to achieve the same heat output equals a cost saving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back