Aluminium window frames and condensation - inject foam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a fairly new build apartment building and suffer from condensation on the bedroom windows. The windows get left open during the day and slightly open at night when its not too cold - ideally they'd be open all the time - I know....

Washing, ironing, cooking etc is in the kitchen/ lounge where there are no issues and we have bathroom extractors etc.

I understand how and why condensation forms.

The window frames are fairly deep and mustn't have any insulation in them to stop the cold from outside spreading through.

The question is:

Can I inject into them any sort of expanding foam to help this and insulate them or will it not make a difference? Obviously I'd have to be careful that it didn't push the window apart - can you get different strengths of foam?

Any other suggestions?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Aluminium windows should be thermally broken, ie the outer frame is joined to the inner frame with a stiff rubber seal. That said I have found even with a thermal break condensation can occur.

Anyway with regards to injecting foam I would be very weary blocking any frames and preventing moisture/rain water from draining out at low level. If they are not thermally broken the cold bridge will still be present anyway and so will the condensation issue. No quick/cheap fix to this one.

Secondary glazing may be a cheaper option if you cant afford to replace them, you would have to make sure the secondary glazing is relativly air tight to reduce moisture getting through.

You may then need to think of ventillation to those rooms as secondary glazing will reduce it, and as those frames are ****, and it's likely the wall surround the frame is fixed to is prone to cold briding as well. If you have no other issues in the house, it may be you'll get away with it.

My concern about foam filling is what it will do to the joints.

I also think it will make little difference, it's the frame itself that is the issue, not the space inside it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, think I will just leave them be!

Its in an apartment block and the windows are part of the structure and therefore not mine to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back