Am I allowed to disconect/connect a cooker in someone house?

Check the appliance?
When did that happen?
I'd find out it's output value! So I can assure the wiring and protective device is correct.

Sponsored Links
So we are back to the same question - why do you feel you need to do checks on the circuit when an appliance is connected via an outlet plate that you don't need to do when it's connected via a plug & socket?

Sponsored Links
So we are back to the same question - why do you feel you need to do checks on the circuit when an appliance is connected via an outlet plate that you don't need to do when it's connected via a plug & socket?
I keep of being accused of avoiding/failing to answering an apparently simple question, which I have bas! but you don't seem to picking it up.
So i'll start again, with a little more detail.
This is my answer, how I see it, your opinion may be different, can you deal with that?
If I had removed the socket-outlet plate to disconnect the power to the kettle, toaster, microwave I would have isolated circuit, during isolation and disconnection this would be an ideal time to check protective device and cable were suitable for this particular circuit.
I ain't going to that though :eek:
i'm unplugging the kettle, toaster, microwave as this is the logical and practicable process to achieve that goal :eek:
I have no reason to disconnect circuit, my on the spot assessment is there is no reason to carry out this out.
Now then the cooker, can't plug this out as it was no plug :confused:
Out with the screwdriver, oh no best isolate circuit before I take cover off, cable could come loose and we don't want nasty bang :!:
Again at this point during isolation and disconnection of cables at outlet, worth a little look the assure device and cable suitable for application.
and visa versa to re-energize
Yeh I'm happy with that, doesn't seem to illogical or inconsistent.

It is illogical and inconsistent when you tell someone that he may not simply reconnect an appliance which he had disconnected a few hours earlier because he needed to carry out tests on the circuit first, and that your justification is that he should have concerns about the integrity of the circuit if the appliance was hard wired but need not have the same concerns if the appliance was plugged in.

What if matty had taken your advise and simply reconnected cooker then a little later the installation caught fire or someone had got a fatal shock!
When householder had been questioned later regarding the installation, says oh a neighbour came around and fitted it for me just before you arrived. I've never used it.
I Never Mentioned Tests in my response to matty question, I assumed he did isolate and test for dead before disconnection

What if matty had taken your advise and simply reconnected cooker then a little later the installation caught fire or someone had got a fatal shock!
IF that is a concern which you believe Matty should have then WHY should it not be equally as big a concern with an appliance which plugs in?

I Never Mentioned Tests in my response to matty question
To summarise, it went like this:

Matty - is it OK for me to disconnect and reconnect a cooker?

Eric - no, because you have to do all kinds of tests on the circuit before you reconnect, and issue a certificate for it, in case the guy who last worked on it cocked things up and you end up being held responsible as the last one to work on the circuit.

Scary - agreed - your concern should be "has the previous installer, installed correct protective device for cable size and output values".

Eric mentioned tests, not me. My concerns where protective device and cable.
Ask Eric why he'd test the circuit your accussing the wrong bloke!

Matty never asked about socket circuit, I answered his question.

Scary? what if you unplug the toaster, do the job., plug it back in and later the house burns down?
it's equaly possible that the "neighbour" had just been round and changed the white socket fronts for nice brushed steel ones that hadn't been used yet? and while he was at it he put in 2 new ones using 0.5 lighting flex with no earth...
the point is you have no idea on the state of a circuit you are presented with that you didn't do yourself..
if you put it back exactly how it was, then you left it exactly as you found it..

it's also pretty obvious if the cooker is brand spanking new....

Explain to the customer that you are not able to inspect and verify the existing wiring so the disconnection and re-connection of the cooker will be at their risk and you cannot be responsible for any harm or damage arising from the use of the cooker.

Then get them to sign for that agreement. No signature then the cooker does not get disconnected. IF that means the floor cannot be laid then charge them for time wasted and leave them to find another floor layer.

Eric mentioned tests, not me. My concerns where protective device and cable.
You repeated Eric's concern about whether the circuit installer had done his job properly.

You said "has the previous installer, installed correct protective device for cable size and output values" - that's not possible to determine without testing the circuit, and you said you would carry out dead tests. Yes, later you said that you didn't mean that, but that was quite a few pages in, and after you had failed, over and over again, to explain why someone connecting a cooker via an outlet plate should have different concerns about the circuit than if he was plugging something in.

Matty never asked about socket circuit, I answered his question.
You answered his question by going on about Part P, and grey areas, when none of that applies to a flooring guy disconnecting, moving and reconnecting a non-fixed appliance, via a non-fixed cable to a connection point on a final circuit.

You answered his question by saying he should be concerned about "has the previous installer, installed correct protective device for cable size and output values".

I asked about sockets because I wanted to know if you would advise Matty to have the same concerns if the appliance plugged in. Basically you said no, but never once have you managed to explain why you have an inconsistent position on circuit concerns and an illogical belief that the method of connection to the circuit affects those concerns and the connectors liability.

And you are still doing it - "What if matty had taken your advise and simply reconnected cooker then a little later the installation caught fire or someone had got a fatal shock!". What if he had? As Coljack is also trying to get you to see, if there's something wrong with the circuit then there is something wrong with the circuit. Whatever is wrong is not affected by how an appliance connects, and if you were being logical and consistent you should warn him not to just plug things back in in case a little later the installation catches fire or someone gets a fatal shock.

But you don't, because you are not being logical or consistent.

Actually - I'm going to stop asking you to explain your ridiculous position
You said that but you still persist even though I've explained my ridiculous position.
I did make an error by stating dead test, when testing the circuit was dead was my intention.
If you thought I was doing a PIR on the circuit, you misunderstood.

You said that but you still persist even though I've explained my ridiculous position.
Repeating it over and over and over again does not count as explaining it.

If you thought I was doing a PIR on the circuit, you misunderstood.
Given that one very important aspect of having the right protective device is disconnection time, how would you suggest that someone addresses the concern you say they should have about whether "has the previous installer, installed correct protective device for cable size and output values" without testing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back