Am I allowed to disconect/connect a cooker in someone house?

your ego!
I'm sorry if you regard your failure to answer a straightforward question as indicating a problem with my ego.

Principle also means code,law,fact
Then please tell me which code, law, or fact means that a circuit where an appliance is connected via an outlet plate has to be inspected and tested before the appliance can be reconnected whereas a circuit where the same appliance is connected via a plug and socket does not have to be inspected and tested before the appliance can be plugged in again.

I don't have to justify what i'd do to a person like you, I respect your knowledge but what terrible unfriendly attitude :evil:
As unfriendly as over and over again refusing to answer a civil request for you to explain why you won't reconnect an appliance via an outlet plate without satisfying yourself that the circuit to which it connects is sound but you will plug in an appliance without satisfying yourself that the circuit to which it connects is sound?

Sponsored Links
that's my point in the post above BAS..
I think that it's a miscommunication..

you like me thought that he meant a test and inspection, but he only means a quick visual.. ( or so he says in his last post.. )

PMSL.... i have opened a can of worms here!

Anyway i had a lovely weekend away, how was your weekends ?

Coljack.. Post on the flooring forum for your answer! Its will get very messy if i start talking flooring as well on here.

BAS.. what ever would you do without a quote button? I think you should do a charity 'non-quote' day. I will sponser you mate!

Scarypants, morning is earlier than 10.30 mate, thats almost dinner time.

Well chaps, im going to book a course as adviced by someone on here (not sure who as to much input on the last read)

I know what im doing but a certificate/trainning etc will always be a bonus.

And ye, someone invent a slimline plug for cookers! (high amp)

Cheers

Correct me if I am wrong ... but under Part P , you can replace existing socket frontals or cooker plate frontals without a MWC because you are not altering the circuit in any way .. therefore reconnecting a cooker to it''s original equipment is non notifiable under part P.

Sponsored Links
Yep, sort of. You are mixing up different requirements - Part P is the law and BS7671 is a non-statutory document.
The replacement of sockets, light switches, outlet plates etc etc is non-notifiable under Part P. Regardless of notification - all work on the fixed electrical installation must comply with P1 i.e. "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury. "

This is where BS7671:2008 comes into play. In order to show what you are doing complies with P1 you may choose to work to a known standard such as this.
Replacing an accessory is generally considered to be maintenance work hence you do not really need to issue a MWC, however if the client is demanding one you can issue a MWC.

I'll agree that the re-connection of the cooker is a non-notifiable activity however if you are being paid to do a job then you still have to consider your duty of care and where you stand should it all go pear shaped - what if you re-connect it and do something wrong.

Scarypants, morning is earlier than 10.30 mate, thats almost dinner time.
yes but it's Sunday and I'd earned a few extra hours in the land of the duvet.
But if bas has problem with GMT, just clarify 10.30am is in the morning, I don't know how it works that way, something to do with romans, the sun, moon and movement of the seas and earth rotating on it's axis!

Don't recall mentioning dead test if I did sorry for misleading information just a quick look at installation.
To answer the simple question, Which i'm sure I have answered already Ans: no I wouldn't inspect a circuit everytime I unplugged and plugged back in the kettle.
Why: My reason being is its not practicable or logical, I'd assume that the circuit was okay as my microwave had just pinged, with warmed up left overs and was on the same circuit.

it was me that suggested the course, a I've already designed a cooker connector.. View media item 12996 see? ;)

well scarypants, did we get the wrong idea, or did you change your mind and try to backtrack?

well scarypants, did we get the wrong idea, or did you change your mind and try to backtrack?

No back tracking i'm an honest,trustworthy chap even though i've been discredit by someone who doesn't know me.
May not have been to clear, i'd have to review all post first.
Don't recall mentioning dead test that relate to R1+R2 or IR, like you mentioned a misunderstanding somewhere regarding the tests

"dead test" to most electrician is all the tests that you do before energising a circuit..

"test for dead" is testing that a circuit is de-energised and safe to work on.

iwell scarypants, did we get the wrong idea, or did you change your mind and try to backtrack?
Well, I really don't think I got the wrong end of the stick, but if I did then I consistently showed that I had, and scary passed up opportunity after opportunity to put me right, refusing over and over again to explain himself.

And he has still not given any logical or consistent reason why a circuit to which he is reconnecting an appliance via an outlet plate has to have checks carried out on it which do not need to be carried out if the exact same appliance were to be connected via a plug and socket.

No back tracking i'm an honest,trustworthy chap even though i've been discredit by someone who doesn't know me.
Discredited?

All I have done, basically, is to keep on asking you to provide a logical explanation for your position, to keep on highlighting inconsistencies in your position, and to keep on pointing out your inability to explain your position.

If you feel discredited by that then it's because of your illogical and inconsistent position, nothing else.

But as stated before "has the previous installer, installed correct protective device for cable size and output values"
If Matty was fitting a worktop, and needed to unplug a microwave and a toaster and a kettle, would you advise him to worry about whether the previous installer did the socket circuit OK?

No! I won't advise him on that as he has not terminated any conductors nor touched the installation. But if I had disconnected the cooker, when reconnecting I would assure it was safe and fit for purpose of use.[/quote]

My second post on this thread in reply to your question!
I think I answered that particular simple question straight away, maybe not the answer you was wanting but that's your hang up!

out of interest, what flooring do you as a pro recommend for a kitchen?
I was thinking laminate but the waterproof stuff is expensive.

Tiles

See

Most guests think it is wood!

Must post a finished photo - other patterns are available!

out of interest, what flooring do you as a pro recommend for a kitchen?
I was thinking laminate but the waterproof stuff is expensive.

Tiles

See

Most guests think it is wood!

Must post a finished photo - other patterns are available!

Can I see a tile cutter, that could give it away!

My second post on this thread in reply to your question!
I think I answered that particular simple question straight away, maybe not the answer you was wanting but that's your hang up!
I fail to see how saying you would check the appliance to see if it was safe and fit for purpose of use is in any way an explanation of why you think you should concern yourself over whether the guy who installed the circuit had used the "correct protective device for cable size and output values".

Can you help me by explaining how "has the previous installer, installed correct protective device for cable size and output values" is addressed by checking the appliance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back