Am I allowed to do this to my lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I'm planning a small bathroom makeover and wanted to know if it's within allowable work for me to do the following 2 tasks myself as a non-electrician:

1) Add an isolation switch to the existing fan which runs off the switched live in the bathroom light pendant. No other changes, just want to mount a wall switch as
I believe this is now needed anyway.
2) There is a powered mirror that has either a spur or a radial (As there's only one wire) on the lighting circuit. I would like to spur off this again to have a shaver socket as I believe shaver sockets can run off lighting or mains (or run this wire to the socket and spur off that back to the mirror, they're in the same area).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bathroom is a special location, so you need to inform LABC first, and pay there fees, in Wales £100 plus vat was the going rate, plus any fees for inspection and testing. So yes you can do it, but likely cost more than getting a scheme member to do the work.

Personally I would not be too worried, but you asked what is allowed.

I'm planning a small bathroom makeover and wanted to know if it's within allowable work for me to do the following 2 tasks myself as a non-electrician:

1) Add an isolation switch to the existing fan which runs off the switched live in the bathroom light pendant. No other changes, just want to mount a wall switch as
I believe this is now needed anyway.
Not needed; don't bother.

2) There is a powered mirror that has either a spur or a radial (As there's only one wire) on the lighting circuit. I would like to spur off this again to have a shaver socket as I believe shaver sockets can run off lighting or mains (or run this wire to the socket and spur off that back to the mirror, they're in the same area).
IF this work is within the bathroom zones - i.e. within 600mm. horizontally from shower or bath - then you should notify the LA before you start.

If it is not and you are in England then carry on.

Bathroom is a special location, so you need to inform LABC first, and pay there fees, ......
As we have pointed out many times, and as EFLI has said, only bathroom zones count as a 'special location', hence requiring notification.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As we have pointed out many times, and as EFLI has said, only bathroom zones count as a 'special location', hence requiring notification.

Kind Regards, John
Good point, not re-read in ages, I thought kitchens, outside, and bathrooms were special locations here in Wales, but only bathrooms in England, but you may well be correct to it only being zones in England.

I thought kitchens, outside, and bathrooms were special locations here in Wales, but only bathrooms in England, but you may well be correct to it only being zones in England.
Nope - it has been the same in Wales for the nineteen years since introduction - 'special locations' are just within the zones of wet areas.

Kitchens and outside are not special locations but mentioned specifically.

From Schedule 4 (still used in Wales):
1709033515352.png

The confusion is because the definition of 'special location' is different than BS7671.

Good point, not re-read in ages, I thought kitchens, outside, and bathrooms were special locations here in Wales, but only bathrooms in England, but you may well be correct to it only being zones in England.
As EFLI has said, not just England, it's the same in Wales.

The confusion is because the definition of 'special location' is different than BS7671.
I'm not sure how that can be the case, because (a) I don't think that BS7671 provides an explicit definition of 'special location' and (b) the definition in Schedule 4 of the Building Regs referred specifically (as you have quoted) to the bathroom zones as defined in BS7671:2008.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure how that can be the case, because (a) I don't think that BS7671 provides an explicit definition of 'special location'
You are correct; it does not; but is that in itself not different than the definition in The Building Regulations?

After all the heading of Part 7 of BS7671 is;

1709038840360.png

So without an actual definition, does that not imply that all those things are special locations or special installations?

and (b) the definition in Schedule 4 of the Building Regs referred specifically (as you have quoted) to the bathroom zones as defined in BS7671:2008.
It does and when zone 3 existed and contained all of most people's bathrooms it was reasonable to think that the 'special location' was the whole bathroom so I suppose people continued with that in their minds.

After all, when zone 3 was removed did anyone think "Oh, that's good; I can now work in bathrooms outside zone 2 without notifying"?

Does (or did) this clarify the situation or confuse it further?

1709040090694.png

Surely that means that the zones are not actually in the location.

After all the heading of Part 7 of BS7671 is; ................ So without an actual definition, does that not imply that all those things are special locations or special installations?
I don't think one can (should!) draw much in the way of conclusions about 'definitions' from the titles of Sections
It does and when zone 3 existed and contained all of most people's bathrooms it was reasonable to think that the 'special location' was the whole bathroom so I suppose people continued with that in their minds.
Yes, maybe.

Kind Regards, John

Does (or did) this clarify the situation or confuse it further? View attachment 334607
Surely that means that the zones are not actually in the location.
Do you mean because of "....and the surrounding zones as described ..... "?

If so, don't they mean the zones surrounding the bath or shower, rather than 'surrounding the location'?

Kind Regards, John

Do you mean because of "....and the surrounding zones as described ..... "?
Yes, "and".
If so, don't they mean the zones surrounding the bath or shower, rather than 'surrounding the location'?
They do (I presume) but that means the zones are not in the location containing a bath etc.

"The particular requirements of this section apply to the electrical installations in locations containing a fixed bath
(bath tub, birthing pool) or shower and to the surrounding zones as described in these regulations."

They do (I presume) but that means the zones are not in the location containing a bath etc.
"The particular requirements of this section apply to the electrical installations in locations containing a fixed bath
(bath tub, birthing pool) or shower and to the surrounding zones as described in these regulations."
Agreed. Badly worded - although (dare I say it>? :) ) I presume that we understand correctly what they were trying/intending ti write?

Kind Regards, John
Where is it stated the iso switch is outside the zones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back