Am I allowed to do this to my lighting circuit?

Where is it stated the iso switch is outside the zones?
The isolator doesn't yet exist. The OP was considering fitting one (even though not required by regs), but didn't say where.

The recent discussion resulted from eric incorrectly advising the OP that all work in bathrooms is notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I know the bathroom rules changed, the rule for a bedroom was combined with the bathroom so any room with bath or shower had special rules for an area 3 meters around the bath, zone 3 was dropped, but the rules for sockets was added.

I have never worked out why shower surrounds are not 2.25 meters high, that would remove a load of problems. Mine is 2.20 meters just a little too low.

I know the bathroom rules changed, the rule for a bedroom was combined with the bathroom so any room with bath or shower had special rules for an area 3 meters around the bath, zone 3 was dropped, but the rules for sockets was added.
There may have been subsequent changes in BS7671's definition of the zones, but there have never been any changes in the 'notification rules', since they have always related to zones as defined in BS7671:2008, regardless of any subsequent changes in BS7671.

Sponsored Links
You cannot have the switch inside the zones.
Indeed - which is why ('compliant') installation of an isolator (or any other switch) in a bathroom can never be notifiable - if it's within zones, it's 'not allowed' (hence should not be done), and if it's outside the zones, it is not notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed - which is why ('compliant') installation of an isolator (or any other switch) in a bathroom can never be notifiable - if it's within zones, it's 'not allowed' (hence should not be done), and if it's outside the zones, it is not notifiable.

Kind Regards, John
Even a pull switch?

Yes - the actual switch part.
In fact, every 'part'. Provided that the'actual switch part' were outside of the zones, I think it would still be compliant even if the pull cord were dangling into the bath water.

... and,yes, I know that a wet pull cord can conduct electricity to some extent but, like you,I don't make the rules- and 'bits if string are, to the best of my knowledge, outside of the scope of BS7671 :)

Well, no; not the pull cord. That's the point..
I guess we must be dealing with different 'points', then ;)

My point, which spawned the exchanges between blup and yourself, was that installing ('compliantly) a switch in a bathroom can never be notifiable (for which you 'Liked' me :) ). I'm sure that you don';t disagree with that,but you now seem be arguing about something ;)

Installing the electrical part of a switch 'compliantly' cannot be notifiable because to be compliant, the work must be outsides the zones ... and if it's outside of the zones, then it's not notifiable. Installing the non-electrical bits (e.g. the cord) is not notifiable, since no part of the Building Regs (nor any other legislation of which I'm aware) requires such work to be 'notified' to anyone.

... and that seems to be consistent with my statement that 'never notifiable' applies to 'all parts' of the work - both electrical and non-electrical, since, if the electrical part of the work is compliant, then nothing requires either part to be 'notified' to anyone So, although I realise that you enjoy arguing, I can't really see what you are arguing about on this occasion ;)

Kind Regards, John

In fact, every 'part'. Provided that the'actual switch part' were outside of the zones, I think it would still be compliant even if the pull cord were dangling into the bath water.

... and,yes, I know that a wet pull cord can conduct electricity to some extent but, like you,I don't make the rules- and 'bits if string are, to the best of my knowledge, outside of the scope of BS7671 :)
Which is the exact reason there is an insulating device included with a pullswitch string. :)

Which is the exact reason there is an insulating device included with a pullswitch string. :)
There's actually been quite a lot of debate about that i8n the past. Some people believe that those things are not primarily intended as "insulating devices" but, rather, are to facilitate user-replacement of most of the cord/'string' without having to delve inside the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back