Am I allowed to do this to my lighting circuit?

Yes I thought that too, I never actually considered whether or not the intention was to be insulating.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, special locations in the building regs are special locations as defined in our wiring regs. Most homes the only special location would be a bathroom (OK a room containing a bath or shower etc). Of course swimming pools/saunas etc are special locations too.
The building regs seemed to introduce special installations, like outside for example too, then England changed a bit and Wales kept pretty much the same, in so far as Part P is concerned and I think that added to the confusion. Some things are notifiable some are not and differs between England and Wales.
Part P considers domestic to include a flat above a shop/pub so that causes some confusion for some. Some people confuse Part P applies to all "domestic premises" but some confuse "applies" with "being notifiable", in fact one of my assessors confused applies with being notifiable.

I suppose that`s the whole point of ambiguity anyway!

There's actually been quite a lot of debate about that i8n the past. Some people believe that those things are not primarily intended as "insulating devices" but, rather, are to facilitate user-replacement of most of the cord/'string' without having to delve inside the switch.
Well I'm very aware of the history of these and in addition one of my duties in BT involved visiting numerous BT building, mostly exchanges, and one of the checks being the presence of the insulators and carrying a stock to replace as required, there was even a specific code on the timesheet ELPS (I assume Electric Light Pull Switch) and worth ¼hour for each repair.

The original joins were 2 part brass and the job was to cut the top string above the metal and replace all below with new. We had hundreds of them in the equipment rooms, each end of the suites of racks.

Anyway, special locations in the building regs are special locations as defined in our wiring regs.
Yes, but not the current version of 'our wiring regs' but, rather BS7671:2008(2)
Most homes the only special location would be a bathroom ..
Indeed - in England. As you say, it's a bit different in Wales.
Part P considers domestic to include a flat above a shop/pub so that causes some confusion for some. Some people confuse Part P applies to all "domestic premises" but some confuse "applies" with "being notifiable", in fact one of my assessors confused applies with being notifiable.
Indeed. I've never been quite sure why Part P us restricted to domestic/residential properties - most of thee Building Regs applies to any property, doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well I'm very aware of the history of these and in addition one of my duties in BT involved visiting numerous BT building, mostly exchanges, and one of the checks being the presence of the insulators and carrying a stock to replace as required,
Fair enough, but you may well be talking about the view of BT, not necessarily the 'intended' reason for the plastic thingies (probably much cheaper than the prior brass ones) appearing.

Is anyone aware of any regulations or legislation that actually 'requires' there to be 'insulating devices' in pull cords?

1709121053104.png

But you were referring to 'special locations' which are the same in England and Wales.

View attachment 334737

But you were referring to 'special locations' which are the same in England and Wales.
I'm too busy today to spend time with nit-picking. The point, on which we are all agreed, is that there are more 'locations' (e.g.outdoors) )in Wales than in England in which, by virtue of the 'location', electrical work is notifiable.

I'm too busy today to spend time with nit-picking. The point, on which we are all agreed, is that there are more 'locations' (e.g.outdoors) )in Wales than in England in which, by virtue of the 'location', electrical work is notifiable.
Not nit-picking. You made a(nother) mistake.

Fair enough, but you may well be talking about the view of BT, not necessarily the 'intended' reason for the plastic thingies (probably much cheaper than the prior brass ones) appearing.
No no no
There was lots of it about years back.
one of the shed had been selling incorrect units and had to provide replacements.
Is anyone aware of any regulations or legislation that actually 'requires' there to be 'insulating devices' in pull cords?

No no no ... There was lots of it about years back. ... one of the shed had been selling incorrect units and had to provide replacements.
Fair enough - so can anyone answer the question I posed ...
:?:

The cord anchorage was described in excruciating detail in BS EN 61058-2-1:1993. It seems this standard has been withdrawn (so saving £208). I think newer versions are available. I refuse to read it for anyone though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back