Am I being paranoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting an extension done and for various reasons the architect was recommended by the builder. I'm a very competent DIYer, so I'm interested in the work - perhaps too interested because both the builder and architect has suggested to "let them get on with it" - so I did.

But then I happen to spot them pouring the foundations (which I hadn't been told about), with services showing and no shuttering over them and no reinforcement.

Then I vaguely remember being told that building control usually come out to inspect before foundations, I contact building control, to be told they certainly would have come out and hadn't been told about the build.

The architect then swears blind he informed building control!!!

The builder was not cheap, but he came recommended and he's done a lot of work locally. It seems totally out of character for what we have heard about the builder. He wasn't on site when the foundations were being poured, but neither was there any steel work for reinforcement.

I know similar work had reinforced foundations and I can't understand why the new extension would have a different specification.

Even if the ground was much better than anticipated, surely they should have informed me first of such a major change in such a key aspect as the foundations.

I'm really in a dilemma here because someone isn't telling me the truth and it could be either the builder, architect or building control.

The foundations are a similar size and depth to the original house, so I think they will do the job, but the real question is where do I stand now with the builder and architect who seem to be colluding to cover up some shoddy work!

Sponsored Links
You do not pour footings unless they have been seen and approved by building control. reinforcement if required should be on your drawings specifications.

You should not be proceeding any further until bc are happy with the current work completed.

Pete

You have to remember that most proper builders will know and have some degree of rapport with their local building control officer and as a result once a certain level of work has been displayed on a number of previous jobs the BC officer naturally becomes less worried about that builder he has seen to be competent. They then often don't inspect every detail but rather ask to be informed of a few specific points or things they definately want to see as they are being done.

All of that said inspecting the footings is a pretty important job and you would hope they would weigh in for it.

As for the lack of reinforcment either it was specified or it wasn't. If it was and they didn't put it in then you are right to kick up a fuss BUT In relation to you wanting to be kept in the loop, I don't want to sound harsh but I think that is between the builder and architect because they probably know a lot more about it than you and 99 percent of clients have no interest in the process so it would not be normal to run this by the client.

thanks for both replies.

I will have a word with building control. My latest concern is the mix they are using on the mortar. After 2.5 days There's absolutely no strength to it, I can crumble a dice size bit between thumb and finger with no difficulty.

Sponsored Links
Go back to your architect and ask him to show you the email, fax or letter to building control for them to come and inspect.

Good Luck

Andy

Its not down to the Architect to inform BC of a required inspection, its down to the builder.

Err I presumed that was for the Plans Approval, I've never heard of anyone but the builder asking BC to come out for an inspection.

The OP is being very vague on what info has been provided, are there plans/specifications, have these been approved by Building Control? etc etc.
Or is this all being done on a Notice?

Err I presumed that was for the Plans Approval, I've never heard of anyone but the builder asking BC to come out for an inspection.

The OP is being very vague on what info has been provided, are there plans/specifications, have these been approved by Building Control? etc etc.
Or is this all being done on a Notice?

Yes, there are plans these have been approved planning and by building control. Then builder now says that he left a message on the answer machine of building control - this is far more believable. I've also been in touch with building control and they seem to think the builder is one of the more reputable ones and they don't seem to be over concerned.

In retrospect we have left ourselves very vulnerable by using the builder's recommended architect because we don't have anyone who can really give us independent advice (until building standards visit).

Fortunately, the contract is for payment as stages are completed.

how will you going to get BC sign off if your foundations have been poured and BC haven't been out to inspect/approve the depth?

Is the implication that because your BC know (and trust) your builder, they don't bother inspecting some stages of his jobs?

Interesting...

You have to remember that most proper builders will know and have some degree of rapport with their local building control officer and as a result once a certain level of work has been displayed on a number of previous jobs the BC officer naturally becomes less worried about that builder he has seen to be competent. They then often don't inspect every detail but rather ask to be informed of a few specific points or things they definately want to see as they are being done.

True to a degree.

But, all of the essential items, i.e. foundations, oversite, dpc, structural steel, roof timbers,etc, etc, are always inspected regardless of the relationship with the builder. They are legally obliged to carry out inspections of these items.

I agree with other points regards who informs b.c. It is the 'natural' responsibility of the builder to inform b.c. as he is the one holding the shovel, as it were.

However, you are right to be concerned because you as the homeowner will be left with the headache.

You guys need to move over to northern ireland, I am just coming to a close working on a very big house, on a very difficult sloping site which has taken 2 years.

The BC has been probably 5 times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back